Mando'a MP3

Planning parties, meetups, get-togethers, roleplays, or study-buddies happens here.
Nuh'shir
Verd

Mando'a MP3

Unread post by Nuh'shir » 26 Feb 2014 16:12

I was at Barnes and Nobles recently. It came to my attention that we have a lack of resources (CD, Iphone apps, Flash Cards, etc) when it comes to language building. I recently purchased a digital voice recorder and was wondering if anyone has tried to make a Mando'a audio set? Does anyone have suggestions? Things you think would help or hinder the recordings (like placement - i.e. today we will learn how to say "personal greetings" with the next set building on it like "Hotel renting" style formatting) If I were to start this project would the experts care to listen to verify tone and pronounciation? I was also thinking if it gets approval from the community to list it as a free Mando'a.org training aid. Would that violate copyright? Any critique is welcome from any of you. ;)

Raeth
Verd

Re: Mando'a MP3

Unread post by Raeth » 26 Feb 2014 21:00

Nuh'shir wrote:I was at Barnes and Nobles recently. It came to my attention that we have a lack of resources (CD, Iphone apps, Flash Cards, etc) when it comes to language building. I recently purchased a digital voice recorder and was wondering if anyone has tried to make a Mando'a audio set? Does anyone have suggestions? Things you think would help or hinder the recordings (like placement - i.e. today we will learn how to say "personal greetings" with the next set building on it like "Hotel renting" style formatting) If I were to start this project would the experts care to listen to verify tone and pronounciation? I was also thinking if it gets approval from the community to list it as a free Mando'a.org training aid. Would that violate copyright? Any critique is welcome from any of you. ;)
I think it is a great idea, and one I know I've heard passed around before. Some thoughts:

- It would be great if you can have a variety of people speaking; it helps train the brain to map out how the same word(s) can sound different from different speakers, and also would be great for example conversations.

- I've been meaning to add a YouTube channel to our stable of web resources (forum and dictionary website, Facebook page, and Twitter feed); your idea would make a great regular 'show' on that channel.

- As for copyright issues, I think as long as this is done for educational purposes, you don't try and claim ownership, and you don't market the result, you are in the clear. But, Adi'karta might be able to better advise you on that. It is kind of a gray area we are treading in, as we are learning and using a language, but someone created and owns said language. Oh, and Adi'karta would be the one to tell you what can be listed as a Mando'a.org resource (and maybe even where to host it), but I for one would be excited and proud to have something like that to share with others!

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 03 Mar 2014 20:14

I think a resource like you are suggesting would be great to have. I agree that we should aim to have such recordings in multiple voices, to help with assimilation of the phonemes, and development of what would amount to a standard dialect and pronunciation.

The files could easily be hosted on my server if you'd like, or could be done as videos or instructional slideshows on YouTube (we could easily set up a YouTube channel for the site through our Google Apps account).

For now I think as long as we continue to make it abundantly clear that we are a fan group and do not represent LFL or Disney, we should be fine. The end of every episode should probably contain a brief disclaimer and thank-you to LFL and Karen Traviss for providing the language resources which allow us to operate and to learn/teach Mando'a. Also if we use YouTube we must avoid advertising of any kind. We are an unofficial group and since we are not a registered non-profit organisation, we cannot accept any kind of monetary compensation for our services, not even donations to pay for the server this site runs on, as far as I know.
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Nuh'shir
Verd

Unread post by Nuh'shir » 04 Mar 2014 03:26

I can completely get on board with that idea. I have no intention of taking something someone else made. Any ideas on the beginning and closing statements? I would personally like to make sure it's stated that it's a Mando'a.org fan production/training aid though. Alright, so suggestions on getting others to voice some of the phrases, sentences and words? I can try to look around but I'm leaving my current area so I'm losing the local Mandalorian Merc clan and will have to find other star wars people out in Korea. I'm sure I can find them. It shouldn't be too hard for them. I can develop the scripts and post them here to get feedback if I should start with that phrase or this one. The guinea pigs, err.....valued fans could just read off of the scripts. Any ideas?

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 04 Mar 2014 03:49

I'm imagining something along the lines of...

(In movie trailer announcer voice)
"Another episode brought to you by Mando'a dot org."
(Explosion sound)
"Knowledge. Wit. Language. Learn with us at Mando'a dot org."

(Episode contents)

"Mando'a dot org and this Mando'a Boot Camp podcast would not be possible without the generous contribution of the Mando'a language dictionary and grammar guides produced by Karen Traviss for Lucasfilm Limited. This fan production is not affiliated with Lucasfilm Limited. All Mando'a language material is copyright Lucasfilm Limited."
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 04 Mar 2014 06:52

I'll gladly help if needed. Also, movie trailer voices are fun.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 04 Mar 2014 19:07

I imagine the videos would be formatted similarly to this?

If that's the case, it would be funny to have video of me (or anyone) in armor and dub the voice over it.
Also, it will probably be important to have a few people preview the videos prior to their being uploaded to check for pronunciation and other errors.

My two credits.
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Nuh'shir
Verd

Unread post by Nuh'shir » 05 Mar 2014 22:24

I agree with some type of oversight committee. Who do you think are the best speakers on here? As for costumes, you must wait!!!!! I just purchased my helmet and I'm waiting for it to come in. lol

Argen Tium
Verd

Unread post by Argen Tium » 25 Jul 2014 01:59

so Any traction on this idea? I would love to have this especially seeing as I'm in Australia.
Ni Haar Mando Verd!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 25 Jul 2014 12:38

If we try this out and like it, I'm willing to get a decent microphone for clear recording. I'd like to think my pronunciation is good, but I don't think any of us here have really spoken to each other. We really need to skype or tinychat or something.

Argen Tium
Verd

Unread post by Argen Tium » 25 Jul 2014 13:09

Vlet Hansen wrote:If we try this out and like it, I'm willing to get a decent microphone for clear recording. I'd like to think my pronunciation is good, but I don't think any of us here have really spoken to each other. We really need to skype or tinychat or something.

My Timezone is +10 GMT (eastern australia time, sydney). PM me for my Skype username.
Ni Haar Mando Verd!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 25 Jul 2014 21:17

you can find me under this name on skype and if you want google, go for seanglover77. I'm available pretty often after about 3 or 4 EST