Applying Our Culture Practically

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
Belandrie Meave
Verd

Re: Applying Our Culture Practically

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 13 Feb 2017 01:13

Writing Star Wars fanfiction.
Needing a conversation between Jango and Boba that a Jedi in the room couldn't understand.
Mando dictionary.
Dash it, Google, Mando dictionary.
Ah-ha, there it is.
Wait, there are Mando'a on this planet? Kandosii'la!
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy

Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Unread post by Ge'tal Buy'ce » 14 Feb 2017 03:58

I grew up in a military family, so Mando culture really resonated with me. I read the Republic Commando series a year or two back and loved it, but the only friend I have who's at all familiar with it has a strong dislike for Karen Traviss as a person, so there wasn't much I could do with it but admire it from afar. Not until I found this place a day or two ago, anyway.

I'm not sure I'm ready to pick up the Resol'nare just yet, but I'm definitely interested in seeing more.
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 14 Feb 2017 16:09

I found this place a while back, but only really got into learning Mando'a after a friend insisted that I read the RC books. I was sold on the spot, and promptly came here to get my hands on the dictionary and start learning. It helps that the language isn't too hard, just a lot of vocabulary memorization.

Random question, has anyone trained their dog to only respond to commands in Mando'a?

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 15 Feb 2017 21:46

Ruus wrote: Random question, has anyone trained their dog to only respond to commands in Mando'a?
I was going to try to train my dog in German, but kept accidentally defaulting to Mando'a. I didn't get very far though, since the neighbours took my dog... :ugh:
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

KozaTeroch
Verd

Unread post by KozaTeroch » 20 Feb 2017 03:57

New here, and still catching up on a few threads. But has anyone looked into the real life cultural inspirations Karen Traviss used? The various Celtic tribes, the Maori, ect?

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 20 Feb 2017 19:36

KozaTeroch wrote:New here, and still catching up on a few threads. But has anyone looked into the real life cultural inspirations Karen Traviss used? The various Celtic tribes, the Maori, ect?
I'm working on digging into the Maori side of things. What kind of information are you looking for?
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

Linebeck
Verd

Unread post by Linebeck » 08 Mar 2017 19:07

My brother and I went to the Starwars costume exhibit in a museum in Seattle, we have full specs of the actual Jango and Boba Fett costumes. We don't have the materials or utilities to make them, but if anyone wants the photos, I'll post them as soon as I can.
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Vazquar Tra'tabuur
Verd

Unread post by Vazquar Tra'tabuur » 15 Mar 2017 18:51

If you wouldn't mind posting those pics, I'd love to see them. I intend to make my own set of beskar'gam sometime this year, and I would love to have the specs from an authentic(ish) set to base m own design off of.
Nynir ni daab, ni n'akaanir; Jurkadir ner vode, bal kyr'am nu'ven'cabuor gar teh ni a'den.

Strike me down, and I'll not fight back; Threaten my brothers, and even death will not protect you from my wrath.

Kadish Vel
Verd

Unread post by Kadish Vel » 29 Mar 2017 23:31

Back to Tempests question asking about how or why we decided to get involved in the culture (this is how I chose to interpret the question)

I cant remember what started it, possibly when I looked into Jango Fett's backstory. However, after looking into the history of Mandalorians (in the legends), it resonated with me because much of how I already lived fit in well with the culture. For example, I'm simple, and from what read, Mandalorians are too, specifically looking at how Mandos adopt people into their family. I already lived by the words "family is more than blood" well before I knew what being a Mandalorian meant. I also hold family very dearly, and would do anything to protect them. I'm a believer in protecting and supporting family. I have a lot to say on the topic, but simply put, I already lived by over half of the Resol'nare.

he's a little bit of my interpretation:
-Education: for all the obvious reasons, I wont get into it. However in addition to acquiring knowledge, this also includes teaching your aliit whether it's about being Mandalorian, or anything else in life.
-Armor: now here's a tricky part, it wouldn't be socially acceptable. As much as I'd say I don't care what people think, and I don't in general, but beskar'gam simply isn't an option in almost any day to day setting/activity. I feel a more "covert" option is a more realistic approach: A vest that is meant to be worn under clothing, that can stop smaller bullets and knives, is more acceptable... If you're determined to wear armor. (just a brief thought on the subject)
-Self-defense: now I personally feel guns are a good thing, and I'm not going to go into it, but I support of an EDC gun and knife, even to use as a deterrent. Being able to use them with absolute proficiency is absolutely necessary. Some sayings: If you can't protect yourself, you can't protect what you hold dear. Practice makes very good, but you can always improve, and can never be perfect, so never stop training. Naturally train in hand to hand fighting too... check local laws, all this is a touchy subject...
-Tribe: I interpret this as your family as well as friends. Much of what would go here is the same as self-defense.
-Language: Mando'a. Realistically, it' more novelty than actual use, and can be interpreted as speaking the same languages your surroundings speak, I chose to start learning Mando'a too for personal use and as a hobby.
-Leader: Since there is no Mandalore, I choose to take this as the call to arms in the country you live in, when needed. Currently, I'm not in the service, however if a war starts, I'll volunteer without hesitation, since I'm still young enough. There are many other options besides military service one can help.

Being physically fit should also be seen as an obligation in my eyes, for many reasons.
And NO, rolls of fat do not count as extra armor.

None of this is as simple as it may sound. Some of it may seem baseless or like shallow thinking was behind it, but for everything besides the part about armor, there's more thought behind it than in may seem, especially about joining the military (much more to it than I'm going to write here).

This is an example of how there are ways to practically apply much of our culture.

Tempest
Verd

Unread post by Tempest » 05 Apr 2017 18:43

I feel the same way about most of the concepts you explained.

However, although I have vode in the military, I am uncomfortable thinking about an aruetyc government having me at their "beck and call". I interpret it more as "if someone's leading a cause I believe in, I ought to give them all possible support", especially someone I admire-- for me, my pastor or my boss, back when I had a kandosii'la boss.

As for the language, a person's language is the most obvious "tell" besides clothing that identifies their culture. Also, Mando'a is convenient to converse without much risk of being understood by unwanted ears.

I am not attempting to change your mind, only to share another point of view.
Darasuum kote? Wer'cuy. Kartaylir darasuum ner vode? Darasuum te ori'waadasla.

Kadish Vel
Verd

Unread post by Kadish Vel » 07 Apr 2017 00:16

Yea, I understood, and that's how I took it.

Of course, I understand you don't want to be at the beck and call for somebody or something you don't believe in. I'm the same way. Currently I feel that the government is something I believe is worth fighting for, and I have many friends on the government/LE/military side. However, if the Government goes to war over something I don't agree with, I likely wouldn't join... This looks like it could get touchy, so let's be careful.

I agree with what you pointed out about Mando'a. I didn't think of it being a cultural tell but now that you point it out. As for what you said about it being used as a way to have a more private conversation, that is what I meant when I mentioned "personal use", also referring to written uses.

I value other points of view and interpretations, so don't worry in the future. Speak your mind :P

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 14 Apr 2017 02:18

Since the armour thing seems to be a recurring trend, I'd like to say something:
mirshe'beskar'gam.
Personally, I've always felt like part of being a Mandalorian would be more in a state of mind than body. Being present in the moment, knowing who you are and what you stand for, using your head as more than a hatrack; that sort of thing seems like what makes a Mandalorian where the rubber meets the road.

I'm sorry, I kinda loaded that with metaphors.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 16 Apr 2017 19:56

Aarlaya wrote:Since the armour thing seems to be a recurring trend, I'd like to say something:
mirshe'beskar'gam.
Personally, I've always felt like part of being a Mandalorian would be more in a state of mind than body. Being present in the moment, knowing who you are and what you stand for, using your head as more than a hatrack; that sort of thing seems like what makes a Mandalorian where the rubber meets the road.

I'm sorry, I kinda loaded that with metaphors.
I like that idea.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 20 Apr 2017 17:06

BlackSwordKirito wrote:If you wouldn't mind posting those pics, I'd love to see them. I intend to make my own set of beskar'gam sometime this year, and I would love to have the specs from an authentic(ish) set to base m own design off of.
If you want help/support/resources when you make your beskar'gam, you should check out the Mandalorian Mercs Mandalorian Mercs if you haven't already.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 20 Apr 2017 19:02

I think I've seen your work over there, vod. Mercs are the place if you want beskar'gam.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 21 Apr 2017 15:59

Ruus wrote:I think I've seen your work over there, vod. Mercs are the place if you want beskar'gam.
Apologies if you weren't talking to me, but I haven't done any work over there yet...
And yeah, they are great!

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 24 Apr 2017 07:00

KozaTeroch wrote:New here, and still catching up on a few threads. But has anyone looked into the real life cultural inspirations Karen Traviss used? The various Celtic tribes, the Maori, ect?
I'm a Gaelic polytheist so I've studied and I'm continuing to study the various Celtic cultures. The vast bulk of what I've looked into is Irish, though I have done some reading on Gaulish matters. One fun thing in common between Mando cultural values and Gaulish polytheist cultural values is the focus on the language. The Gaulpols I've spoken to have stated that, for them, what makes one Gaulish first and foremost is a shared linguistic history. There's no living Gaulish language, and they've had to make various reconstructions of what they think it might have ended up as. But the general idea is that a very key part of the Gaulish identity is to know, at least to some degree, the Gaulish language. My focus though is the Gaels though, and Ireland in particular.

If you're curious about Irish mythology, theories on how the pagan religion there worked, and how I and others apply those values to modern day life I'm more than up to helping out there. One thing that might interest you is how many of us have come to interpret the idea of the fian, or warrior, in a modern day setting. We can't run out and create some sort of outlaw band of warriors living on the fringes of society like Finn McCumhaill did, but there are ways we can at least apply that to modern day life. Part of the idea is rather similar to how Aarlaya is interpreting the beskar'gam part of the Resol'nare.

Tempest
Verd

Unread post by Tempest » 23 Jun 2017 23:42

Since we are on the subject of the cultures that influenced the Republic Commando Mandalorians, I was wondering specifically which those were. The more detailed and discussed the list is, the better.
Here might be a good place to start. Any ideas or articles?

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 25 Jul 2017 04:44

I always felt there was a little bit of feudal Japanese influence, but that might just be Star Wars in general.

Tempest
Verd

Unread post by Tempest » 04 Aug 2017 15:26

I had not thought of that. Interesting...

Would you give an example, please?