The Mando'a Bible Translation Project

Member-contributed translations of various texts into Mando'a

Re: The Mando'a Bible Translation Project

Unread postby DiscWarrior » 17 Apr 2017 23:55

As long as this is still going, I might as well contribute my efforts.

The very first thing I did after leaning about Mando'a was to translate the first chapter of John. I can't seem to find my original translation, though I'm sure it was ripe with errors. I do use 'El' as God. As far as I can tell, there is no confusion with any other word in Mando'a, and this is the original Hebrew name of God. Or, at least one of them. Instead of using any particular English translation, I use either the original Greek, or Hebrew. Our English translations are just that, so in order to preserve the original ideas and concepts as originally written, I use the original language. I do not speak, read, etc., either Greek or Hebrew so I use an interlinear translation for this.

Here is the first paragraph of John translated:

Sha maan'la cuy haar miit, bal haar miit cuy ti El, bal haar miit cuy El.
Kaysh sha maan'la ti El.
Ankebise ru'olar lo cuy'la adol Kaysh, bal dar'tome kaysh naas ru'olar lo cuy'la meg ru'olar lo cuy'la.
O'r Kaysh oyar, bal haar oyar ru'cuy nau at adate.
Haar nau tranir o'r werde, bal werde nu'suvar.

Here it is in English:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
He was in the beginning with God.
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

The theology is as important to me as the correct Mando'a is. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
DiscWarrior
Verd

Unread postby Aarlaya » 03 May 2017 15:48

I'm not showing up to help (sorry), but it occured to me that eventually someone's going to have to translate the Sermon on the Mount. Good luck getting that into Mando'a.
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings
Aarlaya
Verd

Unread postby Belandrie Meave » 04 May 2017 06:06

Whoo. Nayc osik.
I foresee heavy use of the nu'- prefix.
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy
Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread postby Ge'tal Buy'ce » 28 Dec 2017 18:51

Whoo. Nayc osik.

Hey, sacred mountain, watch the language.

I haven't had a chance to read through all of this, but I saw someone wanting Sermon on the Mount and thought CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. So someone let me know if some of what I'm doing is reinventing the wheel or stepping on someone else's work.

Also, I'm changing up the narration slightly. In English, it's customary to narrate in the past tense, but past tense in Mando'a is pretty unwieldy, so I'll be writing in present tense except where explicitly referring to something that happened prior to the current point in the text.

Matthew 5 (NKJV)

1. And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain and when he was seated His disciples came to Him.
Kaysh haa'tayli ori'sol adate, bal slana laam cerar. Kaysh shebe, bal maan'urman'ade olaro at Kaysh.
He sees many people, and goes up mountain. He sits, and disciples come to Him.

2. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:
Kaysh tengaana uram bal ba'juri val, sirbu:
He opens mouth and teaches them, says:

3. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Boracyk gana riye'miite, cuyi be laamyc'tra.
Poor have blessings, they are of heaven.

4. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Echoyse gana riye'miite, gyce'gana mirjahaal.
Mourners have blessings, they shall have peace of mind.

5. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Nekabla'ade gana riye'miite, gyc'as'gaani diryc'vheh.
Meek have blessings, they shall receive the earth.

6. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
Meg gana skraan'lini bal piru'lini par mandokarla gana riye'miite, bic gyce'haili val.
Who has hunger and thirst for righteousness has blessings, it shall fill them.

7. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Kar'galan'la gana riye'miite, gyc'as'gaani kar'galan.
Merciful have blessings, they shall receive mercy.

8. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Cin'runiise gana riye'miite, gyce'haa'tayli Te'Solus.
Pure souls have blessings, they shall see God.

9. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Naak'gotal'ade gana riye'miite, gyce'cuyi Te'Solus'ade.
Peace-makers have blessings, they shall be sons of God.

10. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Meg atinii or'parg par mandokarla gana riye'miite, cuyi be laamyc'tra.
Who takes hatred for righteousness has blessings, they are of heaven.

11. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake.
Gar gan riye'miite tuu val or'parguu bal oya'kari gar, bal sirbu ori'dush jehaate be gar jorcu be Ni.
You have blessings when they hate and hunt you, and say evil lies of you because of Me.

12. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Sheresh emuur bal cuyi briikase, par gar ber cuyi a'oryc o'r laamyc'tra, jorcu val balyc ru'oya'kari T'solurame ru gar.
Seize joy and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, because they also hunted prophets before you.

New words:
Maan'urman'ade: disciple. Root words maan (original, first), urman'ad (religious follower, believer, faithful)
Nekabla'ade: meek, quiet, reserved (of a person). Root words ne' (negative prefix), kaab'la (loud), ade (people)

I know there's a lot more to the Sermon on the Mount than the Beatitudes, but this is all I have time for today. Work in progress.
Last edited by Ge'tal Buy'ce on 06 Feb 2018 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.
Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Unread postby Belandrie Meave » 06 Feb 2018 07:00

Heh. I use Mando'a cusswords as everyday 'swearing lite' and always forget some people can understand 'em.

Your v. 6 isn't quite right... it's passive-voice in the Bible (shall be filled) but Mando'a doesn't support that (argh) so if you could clarify who's doing the filling that'd be awesome. :) But otherwise it's pretty good, thanks for doing this!
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy
Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread postby Ge'tal Buy'ce » 06 Feb 2018 15:51

I think passive voice in Mando'a can be couched in "gyce'cuyi ru'[xxxx]", "shall be [past tense verb]." That said, to keep it in present tense, switching "they" for "it" might help clarify (at least as much as the original text does).

I wish targeted pronouns were a thing.

I'll return to these (and the Maxims) soon, but life got busy, so it'll be a bit.
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.
Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Previous

Return to Translations