spoken mando'a in rebels !

Discussion of existing grammar and words, pronunciation, and compounding new words.
GJ504b
Verd

spoken mando'a in rebels !

Unread post by GJ504b » 19 Feb 2017 02:57

Mild spoilers for The Legacy of Mandalore, season 3 episode 15 of Star Wars Rebels, i suppose.

There were some spoken bits of mando'a in the beginning ! Here's what i heard. When Sabine sends a message to let the clan know of their approach...

@ 0:56
Sabine: Su'cuy, aliit Wren. Ibici Sabine Wren. Ara'novar. Gedet'ye me'vaar ti gar?
The reply: Elek, Sabine Wren. Ke pare.

@ 3:26
After a small firefight, Tristan says "Sha'kajir!" to his team.

Unless i misheard a word, ibici seems to be a verb form of ibic, which is pretty handy. Has that been used in any canon before? It's not in Karen's dictionary, as far as i can see.

This episode also gives a look at some of the politics & status of aliit Wren, Mandalore's situation with the Empire, and a lot of insight into how Sabine is dealing with her personal & family identity... But i'll need to rewatch to formulate some real thoughts on those :p
Last edited by GJ504b on 22 Feb 2017 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

Ruus
Verd

Re: spoken mando'a in rebels !

Unread post by Ruus » 19 Feb 2017 05:28

I also heard that! Definitely have to rewatch, but I liked what Filoni was doing. And at the end, where she decided to stay with her aliit...Kandosii!

GJ504b
Verd

Unread post by GJ504b » 20 Feb 2017 02:23

i've seen a clip of the conversation floating around on tumblr, but i can't find it on youtube yet. if it ever shows up i'll post a link here.
Ruus wrote:And at the end, where she decided to stay with her aliit...Kandosii!
i knoooow!! i'm so excited for Sabine and where this decision will take her... she has so many people who mutually love and support her now ;___;

Ursa is such an interesting character in all this too. She has so many loyalties and problems to juggle at once.

Relatedly, there's some good talk in the Rebels Recon for this episode, about aliit Wren and Mandalorian politics. And Pablo says he's interested in doing more with the Mandos following this, so it looks like we've all got a lot to look forward to.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 20 Feb 2017 04:10

That's funny that you can't find it on youtube. I saw it there just yesterday. I'll have to find a link.

GJ504b
Verd

Unread post by GJ504b » 20 Feb 2017 08:46

it's almost definitely on youtube *somewhere*, i'm just very bad at finding things :p All the clips i could find were of different scenes.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 22 Feb 2017 05:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At9_m9h ... L&index=67

Here's the clip you were looking for.... :)

GJ504b
Verd

Unread post by GJ504b » 22 Feb 2017 10:34

Awesome, vor'e ! i'll edit this into the op :]

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 06 Mar 2017 18:24

The pronunciation always seems weird to me, like they're not native speakers
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 07 Mar 2017 06:41

Exactly my thoughts. Or as if they are reading it straight off the script.
To me it sounds a lot like when non native speakers of a language try to say something and they can get the point across, but you can also tell that they are still learning.

GJ504b
Verd

Unread post by GJ504b » 08 Mar 2017 02:51

Well, that's basically the truth of it, that the voice actors aren't native speakers

Sabine's speech in this does sounds a bit choppy and slow, though it starts off smoothly. Sabine and the reply's weird measured cadence could have a justification, that they'd want their message to be clear over the radio.

But it's also definitely unfamiliarity with the language :]

Also, a neat thing i found: in the episode guide trivia gallery, they offer a translation for this conversation.
Sabine's Mando dialog in this episode translates to "Hailing Clan Wren. This is Sabine Wren on approach. Please respond." The voice on the other end of the comm then says "Copy 'Sabine Wren.' Standby."
it's not just a straightforward translation, which is interesting to me.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 08 Mar 2017 05:45

I mean, you'd think a voice actor would be better able to fake something... not like this is the only fictional language in a show... I GUESS the cadence could be for radio protocol, but the way they chew over the words doesn't count.

Makes me want to do a spoken mando'a video just to demonstrate what I feel it SHOULD sound like...
Shi adate kotep luubid...