How are you learning Mando'a?

Discussion of existing grammar and words, pronunciation, and compounding new words.
Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

How are you learning Mando'a?

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 27 Apr 2011 00:03

Post your techniques for memorizing a language!

I myself use mostly flashcards, both paper and on my phone.
The site I linked to above is great. If you happen to have an iDevice I recommend you check it out.
Even if you dont, you can still make flashcard decks on the site that you can access anywhere.

Other than flashcards, I try to write in Mando'a as much as I can.
I still dont have anybody to talk to in it, though, so Im a pretty slow Mando'a speaker.

I really would like to know how you all are learning!

Vor'e!
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Adi'karta
Admin

Re: How are you learning Mando'a?

Unread post by Adi'karta » 27 Apr 2011 05:15

When learning any other language, I would use a combination of flashcards, listening/speaking recordings, speaking with fellow students, and the traditional context-sensitive sentence construction and/or translation drills...but I've never really tried to learn a language on my own (other than Esperanto, for which there are tons of online tools readily-available to learn the lexicon). I am horrible at learning things on my own, due to lack of internal motivation and/or my inability to focus on any one thing for too long...but my wife kinda lost interest in Mando'a, so I'm pretty much on my own. (She now wants to learn Mandarin Chinese, which means I need to break out my old lessons from high school and get a copy of Rosetta Stone to help her learn proper pronunciation, since I can't really teach her that...but this is off-topic).

Repetition and regular use is key to learning. Teaching something to somebody else is also an amazing mechanism by which to end up magically understanding something that previously gave one difficulty.
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 21 May 2011 04:36

Speaking of Rosetta Stone. I would just love to somehow assemble a language pack for Mando'a to be compatible with Rosetta Stone. The only problem is how many audio samples we would need. Oh, and the fledgling lexicon.

Maybe that should be my next project. An interactive set of lessons to go on the website, like what http://www.lernu.net has for Esperanto. I think that would probably be really helpful. I've just been so busy lately, I haven't even had too much spare time to keep an eye on these forums. :(

(That's what I get for teaching myself to be good at coding...lots of side projects to work on for my job, and no payraise to go with them.) :P
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

MsLanna

Unread post by MsLanna » 07 Jun 2011 11:25

I am sorry for being in Manila and not online lately. *le sigh*
But I still remember that this place exists. :yay:

I use flashcards if I really awnt to memorise something. And then I try to use it as much as possible so it's gonna stick.
Has proven to be the best system for me so far.
I am the very model of a modern Mandalorian...
Ve'vut sur'haaise darasuum!

KensokuT10
Verd

Unread post by KensokuT10 » 07 Feb 2012 06:05

Translating, mostly. Although that's taken second place to schoolwork for now.
Conversation is limited indeed, since I only have one friend who even knows what Mando'a is, and we aren't in touch much these days.
"Gar tal'din ni jaonyc, gar sa buir ori'wadas'la."

adennkad013
Verd

Unread post by adennkad013 » 30 Dec 2012 01:51

Translation, mostly through context clues and source materials, like this site and clonecommandos.net, as well as a dictionary one of my online friends put together and sent, alphabetized and including but not limited to the stuff on KT's site proper.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 21 Apr 2013 01:45

http://linzero.deviantart.com/gallery/25568741
This certainly is a good jumping-off point.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 12 Dec 2013 17:35

Ni hibira Mando'a through a mish-mash of available resources:

1) I try to hibira something new from the various Mando'a-related websites each day.

2) I create flash cards with a few words to carry around with me each day, and then try to use those words throughout the day.

3) In my conversations with my friends, I try to periodically use Mando'a words and provide the translation for said words; over time, my friends begin to recognize those words without need for translation and in that way they transform into a part of my normal, conversational lexicon.

4) I am compiling a Mando'a-English / English-Mando'a dictionary and grammar primer for my own use; as I go through and compile various resources into one reference, it really helps me hibira more and more about the language.

The single most important thing I can think of to do is to USE Mando'a EVERY day! I also speak Japanese having lived in Japan and studied Japanese in college, and I also know a smattering of Spanish, German, and Russian. From previous experiences with studying languages, I know that nothing - NOTHING - can replace or substitute for constant, daily usage and immersion for using a language. Read, write, listen, speak - every single usage only helps internalize the language and imprint it into my memory so that usage becomes automatic and natural.

Looking to the future, I would love to work with others on creating short (5 - 10 minute?) web shows in Mando'a. I know that when I was learning Japanese, watching TV shows, movies, news, and so on really did wonders for picking up the language. I would love to have something like that for Mando'a speakers.
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 13 Dec 2013 14:08

Seeing as my company knows I speak it, they often ask for random phrases o'r Mando'a. Usually it's stuff we don't even have words for yet, so I wind up needing to be creative, but I usually remember to look up anything I struggled with when I get back to my computer.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Ghondar
Verd

Unread post by Ghondar » 02 Jan 2020 09:08

Does anyone know some good Memrise Mando'a course? I've seen one nice with around 30 lessons and 1000 words/phrases, but I can't find it anymore...