Mando'a Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion of existing grammar and words, pronunciation, and compounding new words.
Outis Hawkwind
Verd

Mando'a Phonetic Alphabet

Unread post by Outis Hawkwind » 13 May 2021 01:20

Phonetic alphabets are common IRL due to the necessity of clarifying oneself over radio, where words might need to be spelled out in a way that is clear to the listener when signals are being garbled by weather, distance or jamming.

The same alphabets are convenient for organizing things. It is not uncommon to hear groups being described as "Alpha", "Bravo", "Charlie", "Delta" and so on. Some people prefer to use older, obsolete phonetics that we don't readily associate with the modern world, in order to create separation. So sometimes you might find things being described with "Able", "Baker", "Charlie", "Dog" instead.

Real role-play enthusiasts will keep with the spirit of the franchise and use the Aurebesh from Star Wars. "Aurek", "Besh", "Cresh", "Dorn" and so on. Highly convenient. But I would like to take it a step further and create a Phonetic alphabet that is uniquely Mandalorian.

Not easy. Want to help?
Think of the most recognizable Mando'a word that begins with each letter. These should be the words that every Fando would be expected to already know. But there is a twist: it can't sound like another word that you're already using. So for example, using "Haat" for H, and "Ijaat" for I, might not be such a good idea because the words sound a lot alike, especially if they were coming through a particle storm on subspace radio waves from a battle-damaged set.

Here's how far I got. What would you do differently?

A - Aliit
B - Beskar
C - Cabur
D - Dar'manda
E - Entye
F - Fett
G - Ge'tal
H - Hibir
I - Ijaat
J - Jaro
K - Kebiin
L - Lenedat
M - Mando
N - Ne'tra
O - Oya
P - Parjir
Q -
R - Resol'nare
S - Su'cuy
T - Tihaar
U - Ulyc
V - Vorpan
W - Woor
X -
Y - Yaim
Z -
Last edited by Outis Hawkwind on 13 May 2021 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Re: Mando'a Phonetic Alphabet

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 13 May 2021 03:45

Not sure about using ijaat and jate, they'll sound very similar over a bad connection. Maybe switch to jaro?
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Outis Hawkwind
Verd

Unread post by Outis Hawkwind » 13 May 2021 19:14

You know what? That's fair.

Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 10 Jun 2021 13:57

This worked with mando’a so far best. Not latin based transliteration.
Attachments
18B3C0CA-5908-46E4-8542-569B8153D60E.png
Tal'jair Rusk
Te tuur tal jai o'r dha ca...

Outis Hawkwind
Verd

Unread post by Outis Hawkwind » 04 Jul 2021 21:09

Clearly, I'm going to have to pay closer attention. The 10th was a while ago. :P
Much appreciated.