Reading Mando'a

Discussion of existing grammar and words, pronunciation, and compounding new words.
Belandrie Meave
Verd

Reading Mando'a

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 12 Jan 2017 10:07

For pronunciation references.
I've posted a couple of things to YouTube, on a throwaway, under the name 'Mando'a Miit'haataylur' (Mando'a Reader) and if anyone else wants to join the party I can make it a 'shared' YouTube account we can all contribute to.
So far I've posted (at Ruus' request) Taljair's translation of the Address to the Consul of Luon, and (for the sheer screaming heck of it) the Urmankala and Resol'nare.
I'm working on translating the first paragraph about Jango Fett on p. 123 of the first hardback edition of R. A. Salvatore's Attack of the Clones novelization, to get something I can realistically read at conversational speed.
Here's what I've done so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCit0xW ... A-ni8Ckfbw
Thoughts, comments, 'take it down immediately'?
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Re: Reading Mando'a

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 12 Jan 2017 21:16

I like it. If I had time and a microphone halfway decent, I'd help.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 14 Jan 2017 05:21

Okay, this took more rehearsal than I care to mention, but I translated the AotC extract and got it up to nearly as fast as I usually speak.
https://youtu.be/8-OHxsmATIk
I'm using the voice recorder on my phone because my computer microphone is osik.
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 15 Jan 2017 01:06

https://youtu.be/5CDrHFcOF1o
A short conversation in Mando'a - I used to use resources like this when I was learning French, and I found them really helpful.
This kind of thing doesn't take long - the captions are the hard part - so if anyone has any brilliant ideas about other kinds of video that might help people learning Mando'a, let me know.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 21 Jan 2017 02:11

I really like this! I'm working on a translation of Captain America's speech from the Winter Soldier. I don't have a mic, though, but I'll see what I can do.
Thanks for these readings Bellandrie. This will really help me.

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 28 Feb 2017 03:28

https://youtu.be/VqVKqN28_z8
Got bored. Did on one the Trappist-1 planets. Nice excuse to talk about stars, planets, and lightyears.

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 01 Mar 2017 23:09

This is interesting. Give me a little while to catch up (I am a college student, which means two things: lots of work and no motivation), and I'll see if there's not some way I can help you out.

I am very interested, since we're discussing spoken Mando'a, in a Mandalorian accent. They'll always be regional differences, but Star Wars operated on rather homogenous terms. In the older comics, Fenn Shysa had a Basic accent that sounded rough to me, and I'm Texan!
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 02 Mar 2017 02:00

Eh, I'm at college too, vod! I do this instead of having a life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
The verde here seem to be from over the world - it would be so cool if we could get a bunch of representative recordings to track how regional accents affect Mando'a pronunciation.
I'm in New Zealand, which comes with the weird hangover of applying Maori pronunciation rules to pretty much any unfamiliar words. (It took me a decade to work out that the surname 'Whelan' wasn't said 'felon', for instance.) So I guess I speak Mando'a with a Naboo accent. (The local Rebel Legion is Naboo Outpost.)

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 05 Mar 2017 04:15

I'm a native English speaker, but because I study Spanish I always find myself pronouncing Mando'a with something of a Spanish influence :) I guess because it sounds more 'foreign' to me. I try to speak Mando'a more in the back of my mouth than the front, though, because the language seems as though it should be more guttural to me.

Sabine had a pretty bad Basic accent in 'Legends of Mandalore' though...Sounded pretty rough.

Mittramikad
Verd

Unread post by Mittramikad » 05 Mar 2017 18:03

I do the same thing! Although I really like to way Belandrie speaks it. How is it pronouced in the audiobooks?
Kih ori'dush cuyi sa kih yaihad, gar lise kebbu gevar, su bic ven'tengaana ast.

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 06 Mar 2017 09:36

Just a general PSA - I haven't heard any of the audiobooks, I'm just going based on instinct and pronunciation guides, so take it as 'Naboo accent' if you're feeling kind, or 'Belandrie jurkadir sha Mando'a tug'yc' if you're not.
The reading-and-captioning is the easy part for me, so if anyone lacking in microphones or confidence wants something particular read onto YouTube, just flick it my way, preferably with the English translation included so I can caption it properly.

Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Unread post by Ge'tal Buy'ce » 06 Mar 2017 22:45

I actually have a friend working on a reading at the moment. She's an up-coming professionally trained voice actor with several podcast guest appearances and a video game contract under her belt. I'll post it here once she's done with it (with English and Mando'a subtitles).

She's also working up an IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) transcription of what she's reading, which might go a long way towards standardizing pronunciation if we as a community like what she comes up with.
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.

Mittramikad
Verd

Unread post by Mittramikad » 08 Mar 2017 05:59

I actually have a friend working on a reading at the moment. She's an up-coming professionally trained voice actor with several podcast guest appearances and a video game contract under her belt.
That's really cool! I'm ori interested in what she'll sound like!
Kih ori'dush cuyi sa kih yaihad, gar lise kebbu gevar, su bic ven'tengaana ast.