Total guide into Mando'a

Discussion of existing grammar and words, pronunciation, and compounding new words.
Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Total guide into Mando'a

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 11 Sep 2015 10:40

Well, I finally finished it.
Free for download for anyone interested.
If you have any comments or you found errors or mistakes, please contact me, i'll try to fix them as soon as possible.
But from today, I'm taking vacation from mandoa.org.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-c9y ... GczdfKYmfQ
Last edited by Tal’jair Rusk on 22 Nov 2021 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
Tal'jair Rusk
Te tuur tal jai o'r dha ca...

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Re: Total guide into Mando'a

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 11 Sep 2015 17:56

Fuaaaaaaaark that's nice. This is professionally done. I'll give it a thorough scan and see if there's any proofreading notes.

Page 5: spelling: The city burns.

Page 6: maybe capitalize Mandalorians, change Mandalor to Mandalore or Manda'yaim.

Page 7: May you kill him?

Not sure on the conjugation intended for "You weren’t used to kill a lot." and "Were you used to kill a lot?" but it sounds off to me.

Page 10: pronunciation easiness might flow better as "ease of pronunciation" but that's personal preference

Yeah, that's all I could find. Absolutely fantastic work, man.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 11 Sep 2015 20:59

Thanks, ner vod, i'll try to fix it as soon as i can. And maybe add few things i missed.
Tal'jair Rusk

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 12 Sep 2015 20:37

Vod, that is amazing. Your dedication to Mando'a is inspiring and your contribution to the community by sharing this with us is appreciated very much. Thank you.

It will be quiet around here without you. Don't stay away for too long!

I hope you don't mind, but I edited your post to make it sticky.
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 13 Sep 2015 22:37

First, let me point out that besides those who i mentioned in 'acknoledgemets' in the guide there are numerous people who contributed to the development of the language, not only vocabulary but grammar as well (for example passive voice and gerund, not my ideas, i just shaped them a little). So my credit is little in this, lets just say i had tons of people helping me create this even if they didnt know it. Thanks to you all people!!!

And btw, Adi'ka, can you figure out the difference between mando'a script in here and one i'm using? Cause the letters i have for "oo" and "ai" are ] and [, but here they dont give the same symbols.
Tal'jair Rusk

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 14 Sep 2015 06:39

Taljair, the fonts I provide in the forum post editor are the old (oldmando) and new (newmando) fonts listed on Erikstormtrooper's site: http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/mandalorian.htm. Where did you acquire your font?

For your presentation of passive voice, gerunds, and progressive verbs, did you check out Raeth's thread (which I placed in the Non-Canon Mando'a subforum)?

Also, some spelling corrections on the Acknowledgements page:

Lukas --> Lucas
Lukasfilm --> Lucasfilm
mandalorain --> Mandalorian

And thank you for the warm acknowledgement, vod; it brings a tear to my eye. :D

Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 14 Sep 2015 09:31

Well, my font is so old I cant even remember where I got it from. Tried to find it again, but with no luck. But unlike the ones the stormtropper's fonts, mine does have some additional symbols. Or maybe these new have them too but bount to different keys. Anyway, i couldnt find them.

On gerunds and passive, yes, thats where i initially got it from, with little corrections on my part, hope it doesnt insult Raeth, but all credit goes to him anyway.

Ill try to correct the spelling and other minor stuff as soon as i can and ill fix the link on my first post when i upload the corrected version
Tal'jair Rusk

Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 14 Sep 2015 11:21

Updated the link in the initial post, added few things in the guide and acknowledgements and fixed the errors you found so far, thanks for the feedback. Let me know what else have I missed or if I made any other mistakes, I hope to make the guide perfect one day.
Tal'jair Rusk

An'u Biss
Verd

Unread post by An'u Biss » 05 Jan 2016 00:08

Hey everyone!

First off, let me give a huge VOR'E! to Taljair for putting this together. It's awesome, exactly the kind of document that made me dive headfirst into Na'vi when I found that conlang. Great explanations and succinct enough so it isn't overwhelming.

That being said, I was similarly frustrated when I couldn't find a Mandalorian font that contained the same symbols you used in the document... so I edited Erikstromtrooper's version and added them myself!
Enjoy, ner'vode!

I call it "Mando'a Expanded" -- Please note that this is just a Font file. Having this font installed will allow you to type with the same characters used in Tal'jair's Total Guide
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3VsKE ... 8aK9v-9bug
Last edited by An'u Biss on 18 Feb 2023 12:21, edited 2 times in total.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 05 Jan 2016 21:58

very nice!
Shi adate kotep luubid...

An'u Biss
Verd

Unread post by An'u Biss » 07 Jan 2016 22:39

HA! Just noticed that the tusks and sinus bones of the Mythosaur at the top spell out "Mando'a" - Nice touch :)

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 08 Jan 2016 00:40

The idea began in this thread and evolved from there. :)

Vazquar Tra'tabuur
Verd

Unread post by Vazquar Tra'tabuur » 13 Jan 2016 16:56

Now, if I could just figure out how the krif to set that as the font on my pc...
Nynir ni daab, ni n'akaanir; Jurkadir ner vode, bal kyr'am nu'ven'cabuor gar teh ni a'den.

Strike me down, and I'll not fight back; Threaten my brothers, and even death will not protect you from my wrath.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 13 Jan 2016 19:02

@BlackSwordKirito - http://www.fonts.com/support/faq/installing-fonts

Basically, download whichever TTF font you want to use (either of ErikStormtrooper's variants, or the one created by A'nu Biss), remember where you put it, then follow the guide at the above link which corresponds to the version of Windows you're running (assuming you're running Windows).

On Mac, if you just double-click the TTF file, it should open in FontBook and there should be a button to just install it, if I remember correctly (it has been a very long time since I installed any new fonts on a Mac).

Vazquar Tra'tabuur
Verd

Unread post by Vazquar Tra'tabuur » 13 Jan 2016 20:12

vor'e
Nynir ni daab, ni n'akaanir; Jurkadir ner vode, bal kyr'am nu'ven'cabuor gar teh ni a'den.

Strike me down, and I'll not fight back; Threaten my brothers, and even death will not protect you from my wrath.

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 06 Feb 2016 20:55

Kandosii!

Yeesh, ner vode, I am just about in tears for all the awesome stuff I missed while I was away... GREAT WORK!
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Raven
Verd

Unread post by Raven » 17 Mar 2016 19:12

This is wonderful! I love it! I'm forcing my whole clan to make use of it! :)

I have a question regarding the font, and directed at its maker: which buttons to I press on the doohickey to make the extra characters? Are they alt-codes, 'capitalized' letters, or things like > [ and ~ ?

I'm certain it's incredibly easy to figure out for someone with even a passing familiarity with computers, but I lack that.

An'u Biss
Verd

Unread post by An'u Biss » 18 Mar 2016 06:21

It's a few of the punctuation characters, such as the ones you listed out -- your best bet is to copy the alphabet from the top of the page and paste it into Notepad, then install the font that I produced above (or I think Taljair posted his somewhere in this forum...) and use that alphabet to figure out which ones are which.

Raven
Verd

Unread post by Raven » 18 Mar 2016 12:05

Actually, what I did was copy the alphabet that was in Mandor and paste it into notepad with the font set on Times New Roman. Instant translate :)

If anybody wants the fruit of my back-breaking labor, the characters are:

M A N D O R Q H B Y T X E & J K [ L S ] V P U Z G I C W \ F ; “

An'u Biss
Verd

Unread post by An'u Biss » 18 Mar 2016 17:43

Raven wrote:Actually, what I did was copy the alphabet that was in Mandor and paste it into notepad with the font set on Times New Roman. Instant translate :)
Heheh, yep that's what I meant by "top of the page," sorry didn't really specify. Top of the page of the Taljair's document :)