Mando'a Posters, Banners, Avatars, etc.

For everything not directly related to learning Mando'a.
Raeth
Verd

Re: Mando'a Posters, Banners, Avatars, etc.

Unread post by Raeth » 28 Jan 2014 23:44

Adi'karta wrote:http://www.spreadshirt.com/

I feel like you can probably get by selling some Star Wars fan-art (which this might fall under) so long as you don't get too big with it. I'm not really sure though. I've seen plenty of people selling Star Wars themed merchandise on Etsy and whatnot, including some (less stellar than yours) Mando'a shirts.
Well, I will look into this. I mean, I cannot afford to give away a lot of T-shirts, but it would be nice if I did something someone liked they could wear it.

First, though, I think I would like to come up with more ideas, variations, themes, and designs, then see what you and my other vode like. I may like something, but everyone else may be, "Um... uh... did you drag that out of a sarlaac's stomach?"
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 10 Feb 2014 16:03

OK, so I know that I have been quiet (for a change!) for several days now. Work, kids, etc., have all been eating into my time, along with updates to our FB page and our Twitter feed. That said, I have also been working on something a little more exciting, too.

Cuyan challenged me to come up with something more 'ours' in regards to the sigil/logo/emblem I designed for Mando'a.org. You see, the current logo utilizes a stock Mythosaur skull image smack dab in the middle. Thus, I've been working on a unique, redesigned Mythosaur skull that would be specific to Mando'a.org:

This is still a WIP and it requires a lot of touch-up. Once I have the Mythosaur skull finished up, I can then incorporate it into a redesigned logo template that I will then parcel off to Cuyan for other modifications. After a bit of back and forth between Cuyan and me, hopefully in the none-to-distant future we'll have a new, totally ours logo for Mando'a.org.

I decided to share this WIP rough because I was getting impatient and wanted to show ner vode what I have been up to. Oh, if you had not already noticed, the Mythosaur's fangs/teeth are the stylized letters for 'Mando'a'.

Let me know what you think?
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 11 Feb 2014 01:12

I think having the tusks/tentacles/teeth/fangs/whatever spelling out "mando'a" is very clever and it looks pretty cool. It's also very detailed, so scaling it down to a logo may prove difficult. That said, it would definitely function well on a large scale, such as a flag.

Tangential topic, but still relevant to this thread:

I was thinking about what should go in the "motto" portion of our clan "brand," since "because knowledge and a sharp tongue also belong in a Mando's arsenal" was a spur-of-the-moment subtitle for the forum, and is also very long. So I tried to distill this down into a few simple words, similar to the brief mottos of many of the world's (real and fake) military/science organizations. Most often in Latin, they go along the lines of "Per aspera ad astra" (through difficulty to the stars) or "semper fidelis" (ever loyal) or [pulling from Star Trek here] "Ex astris scientia" (from the stars, knowledge).

I've been rolling around some ideas and came up with "Wit, knowledge, language" --> "Pakalat, Kar'tayl, Mando'a" in keeping with the long-form motto (sharp tongue --> wit; knowledge --> knowledge; Learn Mando'a --> language). I think any variations thereof could suit a logo quite well. I like the idea of "True Mandalorians speak Mando'a" but it's quite long and difficult to read in the Mandalorian font (heresy time: I hate that font -- it's so hard to read in any small size or from any distance because of how similar most of the characters are in their basic shape, and it's difficult to hand-write with any speed or grace. Perhaps we need to design a version of the font which is easy-to-read?). I think something short like three or four words would work well in a logo and could fit with the classic "dots between the words" design aesthetic common in logos/emblems with mottos in them.

So I think my point is we should decide on a short-form motto (or maybe even replace the main motto in the forum header). Any suggestions are welcome, as are alterations to my suggested short-form motto.
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 11 Feb 2014 01:48

Raeth, that's a damn clever design that I'd be proud to wear.

I like Paklalat-Kar'tayl-Mando'a as well.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 11 Feb 2014 22:34

Adi'karta wrote:I think having the tusks/tentacles/teeth/fangs/whatever spelling out "mando'a" is very clever and it looks pretty cool. It's also very detailed, so scaling it down to a logo may prove difficult. That said, it would definitely function well on a large scale, such as a flag.
I still have a lot of clean-up and retouching to do, Adi'. I hope that as I get things more finalized, there will be several different stock versions of this logo that will work for a variety of different uses - small, large, outline, solid, etc. This is just the rough WIP, but I was too impatient to wait until completely done to show and share with you all, ner vode.
8D ;)

Adi'karta wrote:I was thinking about what should go in the "motto" portion of our clan "brand," since "because knowledge and a sharp tongue also belong in a Mando's arsenal" was a spur-of-the-moment subtitle for the forum, and is also very long.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, keep this as the tagline for the website and the FB page! I love this tagline SO much! The only reason I didn't use it on the logo design that I've been using is because I couldn't make it fit. But, it is a great saying! It makes for a great line for the website, FB page, and certainly could be used on larger or less space restricted graphics!
Adi'karta wrote:I've been rolling around some ideas and came up with "Wit, knowledge, language" --> "Pakalat, Kar'tayl, Mando'a" in keeping with the long-form motto (sharp tongue --> wit; knowledge --> knowledge; Learn Mando'a --> language). I think any variations thereof could suit a logo quite well. I like the idea of "True Mandalorians speak Mando'a" but it's quite long and difficult to read in the Mandalorian font (heresy time: I hate that font -- it's so hard to read in any small size or from any distance because of how similar most of the characters are in their basic shape, and it's difficult to hand-write with any speed or grace. Perhaps we need to design a version of the font which is easy-to-read?). I think something short like three or four words would work well in a logo and could fit with the classic "dots between the words" design aesthetic common in logos/emblems with mottos in them.

So I think my point is we should decide on a short-form motto (or maybe even replace the main motto in the forum header). Any suggestions are welcome, as are alterations to my suggested short-form motto.
I love this idea - "Pakalat, Kar'tayl, Mando'a"! It captures the essence of both the original tagline and what we do very well! I will work on incorporating it into our crest/emblem/logo, and then you can let me know if I have arranged it the way you were visualizing it!

Two things about the script:

Yes, it can be difficult at first, but your eyes will adjust. I had the same problem when I first started learning kanji for Japanese, but it is just a matter of practice and use. That said, I will focus more on trying to make any use of the Mando'a script as readable as possible.

Also, I have worked a lot on handwriting the Mando'a script in a way that is both quick and legible/recognizable. It may be one of the first videos I put up on our YouTube channel - how to write Mando'a. Can't wait to show you!

Alright, back to the salt mines - so kriffing busy these days, and I have a sick kidling, too. So... yeah. K'oyacyi bal ori'vore - Your ideas are awesome and I can't wait to see them incorporated into the logo!
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 14 Feb 2014 03:13

Just realised I've been spelling paklalat wrong. I spelled it p a k a l a t. There was a stealthy L in there that I somehow missed. p a k l a l a t. Easy tongue.

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 26 Feb 2014 07:11

Adi'karta wrote:Just realised I've been spelling paklalat wrong. I spelled it p a k a l a t. There was a stealthy L in there that I somehow missed. p a k l a l a t. Easy tongue.

Seriously, I just saw this after finishing up the new logo. Please, pardon me while I go scream, beat my head against a wall, then weep softly to myself in a corner...

OK, I'll probably go fix the logo, too. Heh heh.
AN MANDO'AD!

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 26 Feb 2014 07:33

OK, here it is! After weeks of editing (and maybe a bit of procrastination due to work, kids, other projects, and gaming), I submit for your approval (and Cuyan's editing) my idea for the new Mando'a.org logo!

I used Adi'karta's new slogan - Paklalat Kar'tayl Mando'a (Wit, knowledge, language) - and chose colors that you see on Boba Fett's gear (figuring that would be recognizably iconic).
I want to apologize that it took me so long to do. For something that came out looking so simple, it was quite the learning process for me to assemble in Photoshop (which I have become painfully familiar with by now!). What took the longest amount of time was that I sketched the new Mythosaur skull emblem (totally original and completely ours; do you see the word "Mando'a" in its fangs?) by hand and scanned it in. From there I had to edit out a lot of 'artifacts' scanned into the image, and that was the most painstaking process to make sure I have a clean outline to work with.

I do have a lot of WIP files now, so if anyone (Su'cuy, Cuyan!) wants me to send them to you to play with yourself, just let me know!

Good, bad, or otherwise, I would love to know what everyone thinks.
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 26 Feb 2014 15:34

It looks pretty intense and quite awesome!

I would like to vectorize this so it can be scaled easily.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 26 Feb 2014 22:14

I'd wear that on a shirt... for that matter, stickers would be cool...

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 26 Feb 2014 23:14

Vlet Hansen wrote:I'd wear that on a shirt... for that matter, stickers would be cool...
Ori'vore, vode! I was worried that after the long wait with something that looks so basic, everyone would be like, "That's it?"

I may try making a shirt to see how it comes out. I'll take pics and let you know.

Also, I need to find out where I can turn this into patches - either sew on or iron on. I've had a request to trade patches from one of the MMCC clans. Any ideas?
AN MANDO'AD!

Nuh'shir
Verd

Unread post by Nuh'shir » 05 Mar 2014 02:23

I'm heading to South Korea and we have patch and coin makers out there. If you haven't found anything by then, let me know. I know they give deals on bulk sales but I don't remember the quantity. The upside would be that I could personally verify their work before we pay. They tend to not accept money until the job is complete which I always respected about them, shows they value quality in my opinion. It also should cost the basic amount that a shipment in the states would cost since I'd be using the Army Postal Office (APO). So that would be a plus.

P.S.- I would wear this shirt in a heartbeat, no osik! ;)

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 05 Mar 2014 17:14

Nuh'shir wrote:I'm heading to South Korea and we have patch and coin makers out there. If you haven't found anything by then, let me know. I know they give deals on bulk sales but I don't remember the quantity. The upside would be that I could personally verify their work before we pay. They tend to not accept money until the job is complete which I always respected about them, shows they value quality in my opinion. It also should cost the basic amount that a shipment in the states would cost since I'd be using the Army Postal Office (APO). So that would be a plus.

P.S.- I would wear this shirt in a heartbeat, no osik! ;)

Wow! Thanks for the info - Ori'vore, ner vod! I certainly would LOVE to represent both Mando'ade and, of course, specfically Mandoa'org. I am really, for myself, heading into uncharted waters. I have all these ideas, but, 1) I want consensus with my vode here, because a language and culture NEED a community; and, 2) I'm not sure all what is allowable (though, from seeing the patches, T-shirts, and other collectibles being churned out by the varying MMCC aliit, I am guessing that if I am not out 'merchandising' stuff, making and sharing is allowable).

Keep me posted!
AN MANDO'AD!

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 06 Mar 2014 15:32

I have a new 'forum formatted' (486x60) banner for peoples signature areas if anyone is interested in repping Mando'a.org. Sorry for the slowdown in new material lately. Been a crazy, busy, headache-y sort of few weeks. But, I'm Mando, so no excuses! Anyway(!), here it is:

AN MANDO'AD!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 06 Mar 2014 22:12

Jate!

Nuh'shir
Verd

Unread post by Nuh'shir » 07 Mar 2014 03:20

And it spreads........ See Raeth, told you it was awesome. ;)

Nuh'shir
Verd

Unread post by Nuh'shir » 07 Mar 2014 03:26

Oh, also in regards to making products based off of Intellectual Property (IP), certain rules help us proceed with that action. (Yes, I've been looking boring laws up!) Mando stuff for sell can fall under the parody law which means in layman terms, as long as you are not making millions of dollars off of the IP than you can do it. It is how the 501st, Rebel Alliance, and Mercs got started until licensed by Lucas. Also, making limited run (one-offs) falls under the parody law as well. Basically, as long as you state a one run, limited quantity of an item than you are good. You are also good if you sell by commission which is how costume sellers work. You can see an example of how the kits are always built AFTER you order them. Just a little info for everyone. (Plus, I would buy that shirt in a heart beat!

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 11 Mar 2014 23:38

I took a stab at the Mando'a Skull.

Also, Raeth, I vectorized your whole crest. What (non-mando'a) font did you use?
Ill put that up when I have it finalized.
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 12 Mar 2014 10:20

That is just so seriously kandosii, vod! I LOVE IT! I like mine AND I like yours! Two different takes completely, and I LOVE your interpretation!!! BTW, the font I used in the logo is called Trajan Pro.
AN MANDO'AD!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 12 Mar 2014 21:27

looks like this skull is becoming a proper thing