Costuming

For everything not directly related to learning Mando'a.
Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Costuming

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 02 May 2011 01:33

How many of us here have armor? I know a few do
Post your 'Gam if you've got some

2013:
(Me on the left, if you don't recognize me)

2011:
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

MsLanna

Re: Costuming

Unread post by MsLanna » 07 Jun 2011 11:30

I am working on a set to becoime an official Merc. It came as an afterthought to likeing Mando'a and there is some - discussion as to it's merit.
I love it to pieces anyway and can't wait to troop with it again. (with upgrades!)

Does anybody put Mando'a on the kit?
Or just Mando lettering?
I am the very model of a modern Mandalorian...
Ve'vut sur'haaise darasuum!

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 09 Jun 2011 03:27

Yeah, some do. If i can find it, ill post a pic of one.
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

MsLanna

Unread post by MsLanna » 13 Jul 2011 13:34

I meant any of you here. XD
And if so, what and why? And in Mando letters as well?
Iz so curious. :P
I am the very model of a modern Mandalorian...
Ve'vut sur'haaise darasuum!

Kyr
Verd

Unread post by Kyr » 14 Jul 2011 04:21

I am planning on making designs in the Mando'a script on mine. I only just got working on the concepts, but I'll post a design concept on here once I've gotten a more certain idea. I'm pretty close to that point, already.
"The hawk with talents hides it's talons."

"Everything has a price."

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 26 Jul 2011 19:53

Lanna - Oh... sorry.
I personally just have 'CUYAN' written on my left gaunt, for obvious reasons...
I think i may add more
Kyr wrote:I am planning on making designs in the Mando'a script on mine. I only just got working on the concepts, but I'll post a design concept on here once I've gotten a more certain idea. I'm pretty close to that point, already.
Look foreward to seeing it vod
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Tracyn Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Tracyn Ordo » 04 Dec 2011 09:32

So after reading Triple Zero for the first time I decided to make some custom beskar'gam for myself. Unfortunately I didn't have the forsight to search the net for resources until it was almost completed, however for a first attempt , using just a couple of reference pictures of Boba it didn't turn out too badly (considering it is made from corrogated card and paper mache.
At a con I attended in armour I meet several members of the local 501st garrison, who were extremely encouraging of a gangly 16 year old in bright orange cardboard armour. Over the following 2 1/2 years I have been working on a Jango Fett scratchbuild, which is now nearing completion, with only small details remaining (mainly greeblies to be added).
This pic was taken just after the local SW Blu-ray release troop.
Now with my Jango nearing completion I have finally started on my v2.0 beskar'gam, which will be made to a much higher standard than my previous attempt, now that I can draw on the experience of other talented prop builders and costumers from sites such as Mando Mercs and The Dented Helmet.
These are a couple of concept images I have done of what it should look like when done

MsLanna wrote:Does anybody put Mando'a on the kit?
Or just Mando lettering?
It's not shown in the pics but I am planning on putting some mando'a text on my armour, either on the back plate or right chest piece but it will read;
Teh Hettyc vheh
At cin'ciri cerar
Buir bal ad
Tabiir dral
Tome bal dar'tome
Ib'tuur jatne tuur
ash'ad kyr'amur
Par Ijaat
Par Kote
Par Aliit
Par Mand'alor
Oya!
But in mando'a font too, though I'm no poet so I may change it yet.
Par Ijaat
Par Kote
Par Aliit
Bal par Mand'alor!

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 05 Dec 2011 19:03

MsLanna wrote:And if so, what and why? And in Mando letters as well?
Iz so curious. :P
found it. (ya, i know this isnt what you meant...)

Not a half bad poem, either
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

adennkad013
Verd

Unread post by adennkad013 » 31 Aug 2012 20:48

Thinking of making beskar'gam, but am unsure of what material would work best. Any suggestions?
Mando'a nickname: Brii'cyar'talur (mandoa.org and clonecommandos.net provided the info. Ori'vor'e, Mando'ade.)

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 01 Sep 2012 07:45

@addenkad - polystyrene (a.k.a. Sintra) is a semi-flexible lightweight plastic which can be formed into various shapes when (gently) heated. Last time I read, the recommended method was either a heat gun ($25-50 for a basic one at a hardware store) or dipping it in boiling water to soften it before forming (but don't let it come in contact with the pot itself, or it may adhere).

Some relevant links (related online communities which specialize more heavily in costuming):
http://www.bobafettfanclub.com/manual/costume/
http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/wiki/Templates
http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index. ... tion=forum

There's a treasure trove of information on any of those sites -- far too much to list individually here.

If you're so inclined, it is definitely possible to make armour from cardboard and related paper products; I made a Boba Fett costume in 7th grade for Hallowe'en entirely out of cardboard (ignoring the obligatory jumpsuit and vest). Cardboard is lightweight, and while not traditionally durable, it can be convinced to stand up to some beating with the proper tools and patience.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... /?ALLSTEPS <-- Cardboard costume. Pretty good.

You could also make it out of metal, but...yeah. Good luck (it's tough). I have seen online accounts of a few skilled welders and metalworkers pulling off entirely metal sets of armour (there was one impressive metal helmet I remember as well -- I'm sorry I didn't keep the link to share, because it was beautiful).

Here's one: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/full ... met-32513/

And there's a build log covering start-to-finish on a welded steel (or maybe it was aluminum) helmet, but I can't find it anywhere (hint: if you do stumble across it, please post it here, because I want to put it in my "fanboi" link folder XD ).

There's also fiberglass, of course, but...I don't even.

If you want to do a Jango-style shiny metal effect, there is a method involving plastic and something called "Rub-n-Buff," which is a wax-based polish used to keep antiques looking acceptable. You just rub it on and polish very vigorously for a few minutes, making sure the wax gets hot enough to melt evenly across the surface as you go, and the end result is almost indistinguishable from metal to anything but the closest inspection.

Rub-n-Buff: http://www.amazon.com/Rub-N-Buff-Finish ... 607&sr=1-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rItYKAEbt90 <-- seriously impressive result using Rub-n-Buff. Just watch the amazing transformation O.O .

I could go on about this for hours. I have read probably hundreds of tutorials and build logs over the last ten to fifteen years, but I have never been able to justify the time or expense to build a new set of armour (even though all told, I could do it for between $200 and $500 for a basic, sturdy, good-looking custom-build -- I just really want to scratchbuild, which means weeks and months of time and effort and possible several iterations as I make mistakes and learn from them).

If I ever find my big link list of armour-building tutorials and stuff, I will definitely post it on the forums here. I may never find it, though, as my hard drive has undergone several truly massive reorganizations in the last year or two. :(

If you want a premade helmet kit to start from, Asok's kit is very popular: http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index. ... ic=41803.0 ($175 shipped anywhere in USA).
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 15 Oct 2012 15:29

Im an official member of the Mercs. As such, my armor has come a long way from the pic I originally posted, and I thought I'd show you

Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 19 Oct 2012 04:53

Looks pretty good. Clean, subtle, and shapely (nice curves on the armour panels is what I mean. :) )

It looks like an almost complete overhaul except the helmet? What have you changed since the original photo?

What is your armour crafted from? Scratchbuild, or did you purchase a kit for sake of time and simplicity?

Tracyn Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Tracyn Ordo » 25 Oct 2012 10:16

I have also recently been approved and am now an official member of the Mando Mercs :D

And a pic form a con I attended last weekend
Par Ijaat
Par Kote
Par Aliit
Bal par Mand'alor!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 25 Oct 2012 20:01

I got one word for ya:

"WOW"

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 28 Oct 2012 14:26

MandoaOrg wrote:It looks like an almost complete overhaul except the helmet? What have you changed since the original photo?

What is your armour crafted from? Scratchbuild, or did you purchase a kit for sake of time and simplicity?
Everything but the kama, boots, and helmet is new. And the helmet had been upgraded quite a bit.
Scratchbuilt. Nearly everything is made from 1/4" PVC.

And Tracyn,not sure if I congratulated you on the Mercs. Either way, It looks great
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 23 Jan 2014 23:43

I have the materials to start working on the buy'ce. I MUST do this! This IS haat Mando'ad! I need to fight off distraction and laziness and excuses!

I have the materials, so next step:

Buy'ce pattern and pieces cut by Sunday night! Hold me to it, ner vode, and pictures shall be forthcoming!
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 24 Jan 2014 00:25

Do it, vod. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/boba ... tes-10497/

I plan to get started this weekend as well (squeezing yet more and more varied activities into my dwindling free time). After reading http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/antm ... ild-24821/ I realised I have no valid excuses. I'll do a cardboard one for practice, as above, and move to plastic/metal/moulded at some point, I'm certain. The tricky bit is what I really want to do doesn't fall under "Modern Era" and the helmet also shares very little resemblance to the standard T-visor layout.

Now I'm off again to keep poking at my translator upgrade project, my irc bot project, and hopefully spare some time to respond to other posts here tonight. :D

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 24 Jan 2014 00:51

Adi'karta wrote:Do it, vod. http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/boba ... tes-10497/

I plan to get started this weekend as well (squeezing yet more and more varied activities into my dwindling free time). After reading http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/antm ... ild-24821/ I realised I have no valid excuses. I'll do a cardboard one for practice, as above, and move to plastic/metal/moulded at some point, I'm certain. The tricky bit is what I really want to do doesn't fall under "Modern Era" and the helmet also shares very little resemblance to the standard T-visor layout.

Now I'm off again to keep poking at my translator upgrade project, my irc bot project, and hopefully spare some time to respond to other posts here tonight. :D
I am doing the cardboard/bondo/fiberglass route for the buy'ce. I saw a video posted by one of the MMCC chapters on the different materials one could use to make beskar'gam. I realized that I could pick up everything I needed to get started from work. So... yeah, like you said, ner vod, no valid excuses.

Let's challenge each other? I know we can do it! Oh, and ori'vore for the links!
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 24 Jan 2014 01:04

I've got 4 hours of errands on Saturday, and the majority of Sunday completely to myself. I think I can alternate between my buy'ce and writing code for the majority of Saturday night and Sunday. Giving enough time for glue to dry, and accounting for working on different parts in parallel, I expect to be done with the helmet base and ears by bedtime on Sunday, and probably the dome and puttying/sanding by Wednesday night. :)

Painting is a whole other issue. Probably can't paint until it's warm outside. No ventilated workspace with appropriate heat/humidity balance for that. :(

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 24 Jan 2014 03:53

I have a NME Stalker, but I need to go get some plastic-working heads for my dremel to make it work. 'Course, now that I'm getting a car I can actually make it to the store when I need to...
Shi adate kotep luubid...