Off Topic

For everything not directly related to learning Mando'a.
ParjaiTracyn
Verd

Re: Off Topic

Unread post by ParjaiTracyn » 09 May 2023 03:58

Faux wrote:
14 Apr 2023 21:20
By the way, if Sa is like/as, the dictionary has it wrong. It's as in the dictionary.
If I recall correctly (and it's been a while since I looked for the information), the dictionary hosted here cannot be changed because of an agreement with Lucasfilm. That's one reason many people maintain their own versions of the dictionary elsewhere.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 09 May 2023 04:12

ParjaiTracyn wrote:
09 May 2023 03:58
Faux wrote:
14 Apr 2023 21:20
By the way, if Sa is like/as, the dictionary has it wrong. It's as in the dictionary.
If I recall correctly (and it's been a while since I looked for the information), the dictionary hosted here cannot be changed because of an agreement with Lucasfilm. That's one reason many people maintain their own versions of the dictionary elsewhere.
It is? I thought the creators of the site ran this dictionary themselves and that it wasn't connected to Lucasfilm or Disney.
Trikar’la’kar'taylir cuy or'dinii’geroya, bal ni’cuy di'kut be laamyne siver.

ParjaiTracyn
Verd

Unread post by ParjaiTracyn » 11 May 2023 03:10

Again, speaking from memory: The kind of agreement is less formal and more of "we won't shut you down if you follow our rules."

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 11 May 2023 03:13

ParjaiTracyn wrote:
11 May 2023 03:10
Again, speaking from memory: The kind of agreement is less formal and more of "we won't shut you down if you follow our rules."
I suppose it's a bragging right to say we have a deal with Lucasfilm. I always thought it was just because the admins were never on anymore.

ParjaiTracyn
Verd

Unread post by ParjaiTracyn » 11 May 2023 03:19

Faux wrote:
19 Apr 2023 21:02
That or maybe I'm just not correct.
It depends on who you want to communicate with. Go to the Oyu'baat, you'll need to follow that dialect's rules. In these forums, if people aren't constantly questioning what you write, and you are mimicking the style of the majority (and definitely of Vlet!), then you're fine. For every place else, I recommend including notes for anything that isn't straight out of KT's original dictionary and grammar guide because there are so many different dialects, each with their own dictionary and grammar guide, and the explanations stave off some arguments. Some.

But definitely listen to Vlet, who has been working with Mando'a for just about forever.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 11 May 2023 03:22

ParjaiTracyn wrote:
11 May 2023 03:19
Faux wrote:
19 Apr 2023 21:02
That or maybe I'm just not correct.
It depends on who you want to communicate with. Go to the Oyu'baat, you'll need to follow that dialect's rules. In these forums, if people aren't constantly questioning what you write, and you are mimicking the style of the majority (and definitely of Vlet!), then you're fine. For every place else, I recommend including notes for anything that isn't straight out of KT's original dictionary and grammar guide because there are so many different dialects, each with their own dictionary and grammar guide, and the explanations stave off some arguments. Some.

But definitely listen to Vlet, who has been working with Mando'a for just about forever.
Damn, they got dialect rules? Vlet's definitely a cornerstone here, for me at least.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 12 May 2023 22:46

Much as I'd like to set myself up as the arbiter of orthography here, I'm definitely not in charge of things ;)
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 12 May 2023 22:46

Vlet Hansen wrote:
12 May 2023 22:46
Much as I'd like to set myself up as the arbiter of orthography here, I'm definitely not in charge of things ;)
Ah, you might as well be at this point.