Welcome to Learn Mando'a! (Post Here to Introduce Yourself)

Introduce Yourself. If you are new, you must post in here before posting anywhere else.
Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Re: Welcome to Learn Mando'a!

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 31 Oct 2013 03:10

Su'cuy vaar'ike!

Vlade - pm me if you ever want help with anything, learning or name-choosing

OriVerda - Cant say I know of any mando'a music past what Jesse Harlin made for RC. As for plurals, just add "-e". "Verda" is archaic, with the correct modern way to say it being "verde."

I dont think I know of anyone yet who is a native Mando'a speaker. Probably wont until I have children :P
You're doing fine.
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Fynrod Harma
Verd'ika

Unread post by Fynrod Harma » 06 Nov 2013 16:21

I have been a huge fan of the Republic Commando book series and all things Mandolorian for years, but I only recently stumbled upon the online community of vode!
glad to be here and I hope that I will learn this shabla language well.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 08 Nov 2013 17:06

Olarom, vod!

I'm glad you found us -- better late than never, as they say. :D I hope our meagre resources and knowledgeable community members can help you on your quest to learn Mando'a.
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

TheVarix
Verd

Unread post by TheVarix » 18 Nov 2013 12:46

Hi, I'm new here. Look forward to chatting to you all..
Last edited by TheVarix on 17 Dec 2013 05:38, edited 3 times in total.
awesome seo tool link

Nabterayl
Verd

Unread post by Nabterayl » 03 Dec 2013 19:45

I've been using this site for a couple of years, but never had a question I can't answer until now, so ... here I am on the forums!

Su'cuy! Ni pirummi bic narit jaon kisol simire, al draar gana tionjar meg nu nakar'mi akay jii, meg cuyi tion'jor olar.

Tion ru cuyi ibac?

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 06 Dec 2013 12:30

Su'cuy, ner vod'e. Ni copaani hibirar Mando'a.

Not only do I want to learn Mando'a, I wish to draw others - ner ori'haat vod'e, ner aliit - to Mando'a and create a living language and sub-culture.

My degree is in Anthropology (University of Washington, 2005) with minors in Japanese Language and Japanese Cultural Studies. My grandfather was from Mexico, and my mother is bilingual English-Spanish. I have previously lived in Japan, and in addition to speaking English and Japanese, I also know a smattering of Spanish, German, and Russian. One might think I have had my fill of multi-lingual and multi-cultural experiences.

Mando'a, however, presents a wonderful opportunity to fuse together diverse interests of mine - language study, the idea of a con-lang (constructed language) becoming a living language (remind me to tell you sometime what chimpanzees and gorillas have done with ASL), cultural identity in a post-industrial global, multi-ethnic community, a personal affinity for the stories about the Mando'ade, and, of course, Star Wars.

I would be humbly honored to join your community, and if the opportunity presents itself also help it grow in rich and rewarding directions.

K'oyacyi, ner vod'e!

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 09 Dec 2013 06:07

This post is a bit of a 'cin vhetin'.

I posted a greeting about a week ago, but I have yet to see it appear or receive a reply. I am hoping the forum administrators are still operating this forum, as I would hate to have found it just before it makes a ba'slan shev'la!

K'oyaci, vod'e! Mando'ade darasuum!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 12 Dec 2013 15:42

I apologise for my inattentiveness, and for the manual post approval process. I will find a better, more-automated process.

In the meantime, olarom!

TheVarix - we look forward to chatting with you as well!

Nabterayl - unfortunately this forum administrator has been lax in his studies; I will leave your question to one of our other more-knowledgeable members.

Raeth - your experience and enthusiasm for language sounds like a prime candidate for a degree in Linguistics. Learning the hows and whys of language science was a keen interest of mine many years ago. I still hold a flame for it, but have since immersed myself in other studies more related to my career, and have unfortunately lost touch with the side if myself that created this forum as a way to find other Mando'a speakers in order to compel myself to keep learning, since it would be additionally driven by a responsibility to this community. I, too, would like to see Mando'a take up a place at the very least as the primary language if a dedicated subculture, or perhaps even a general-use language for those who believe in the Resol'nare.

I'll speak for everyone and say we are glad to have you all join us!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 13 Dec 2013 14:04

olarom, solus bal an!
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 29 Dec 2013 00:46

As a big fan of compartmentalization, I have a Facebook account specifically for my interests in regards to Mandalorians, Mando'a, and the like:

https://www.facebook.com/raeth.atinbuir

Feel free to friend me if you like, and no offense taken if you don't.

Oya Manda! Vode an!
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

screenaholic
Verd

Unread post by screenaholic » 29 Dec 2013 05:05

Hi I'm screenaholic and I'm a Mandalorian...oh what? This isn't an AA meeting? Alright.
Anyway, I'm a Mandalorian. I'm trying to learn Mando'a to fulfill the Resol'nare. It's hard to learn a half-language with no published lesson plans, so I'm grabbing at any resource I can use.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 29 Dec 2013 05:42

Olarom, vod. We're in the same boat, so hopefully we can work past the shortcomings of this language and learn and grow together. Glad to have you around. :)

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 29 Dec 2013 06:00

Wow! Leave the country for a few days, and all this happens!
Olarom, an! I'm so glad to see things pick up on here after so much inactivity.

Nabterayl, not bad. I can pm you if you want more.
Everyone else, awesome to see some more people with similar interests to myself
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Parjai
Verd

Unread post by Parjai » 07 Jan 2014 18:03

Su'cuy, vode! I'm Parjai (or Nicole... but Nicole means Victory and Parjai is the Mando'a word for Victory... so yeah!)! I'm a nerd from Wyoming! I'm trying to learn Mando'a, and ner cyar'ika and I will hopefully be contracting our own beskar'gam this summer. Glad to be on this forum, oya Manda!!!!

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 09 Jan 2014 00:02

Glad to see you on here, Parjai!
I envy your ability to translate your name so directly. I assume you are on the Mando Mercs forum as well?

Off topic, but I don't know where better to post it: I will not be able to spend much time here before the summer. I'm going to Germany for part of the semester and should really focus on that language right now. As soon as I'm back, though, expect me to get more into the forum. I love how much it has picked up lately and hate to not be able to be more a part of it at this time.
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 09 Jan 2014 00:15

Olarom, Parjai!

As Cuyan said, your name is a very clever translation and I like it. :)

We're glad to have you join us, and we look forward to learning with you.

I apologize for the delay in approving your post -- I'm still working out kinks with administration issues (phpBB doesn't send notification emails when a post requires approval, so I never know to specifically check for it -- I'm testing out a new mod to handle that for me, and worst-case scenario I'll write my own script for it).

@Cuyan -- sorry to hear you'll be missing out on some of the early part of this new surge of activity. I'll look forward to your return. Have a blast in Germany, vode!

Oya Manda, bal'ban!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 09 Jan 2014 04:40

Glad to have you aboard, parjai!
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 09 Jan 2014 04:51

Olarom, Parjai! As has been said, nice name translation!

I am so excited to see evaarla vode like myself. It feels like we can learn from the experienced and long-term ori'vode while bringing a fresh renaissance to the Mando'a and Mando'ade community. I hope we have many opportunities to learn from and inspire each other in our Mando'a pursuits. Because, hey, the Mando'ade need nerds, too... beskar'gam armored nerds, perhaps, but nerds none-the-less!

---

Cuyan, it has been a few years since I was just starting to delve into German. As you prepare and then even after you go, if you want to share your knowledge and experiences with me in another OT thread here, I would love to shake the rust off and learn more than just the smattering I knew previously. Either, good luck, ner vod. Sounds like a great opportunity.

---

Adi'karta, it's nice to seen you with a Mando'a gai! I didn't mention that earlier, sorry. I mean, Mr. Mando'a.org wasn't a bad name, per se... heh heh. In retrospect, going with the name I've been using in other venues of my Mando'ade pursuits... well, I admit I am a bit jealous of all the very kandosii Mando'a gai'se, but since the Mando'ade were habitual adopters of many races and cultures, Raeth still works. Heh heh. Anyway, am I translating your name correctly to mean "Heart of a Child", or "Child's Heart"? Something like that, to invoke a sense of playfulness, wonder, and discovery? Or, am I compounding my miite horribly again?
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 09 Jan 2014 04:58

Raeth, you are correct in your translation. I spent days combining words to make names, and eventually stopped trying to make names that meant specific things, because they didn't sound name-like to me. I then started trying to reproduce my real name using sounds from Mando'a, and after going slightly off-topic, I came up with Adi'karta (ad'ika + kar'ta), which seemed to suit me. The close second was Adi'kara (ad'ika + Ka'ra = child of the stars) but I realised it was backwards (stars of child) and thus made no sense. :P

lilyfarseer
Verd

Unread post by lilyfarseer » 11 Jan 2014 14:40

Su'cuy, vode. I am Lily. Kyr'am Sarad, I suppose if you want to sort of put it into Mando'a. To shorten it, it could be Kyrad. I know it is close to the word corpse, but I'm hoping that it's okay. I am currently challenging myself to learning Mando'a right now. I hope I don't butcher it too badly!