Welcome to Learn Mando'a! (Post Here to Introduce Yourself)

Introduce Yourself. If you are new, you must post in here before posting anywhere else.
Outis Hawkwind
Verd

Re: Welcome to Learn Mando'a! (Post Here to Introduce Yourself)

Unread post by Outis Hawkwind » 06 Mar 2021 23:28

Su cuy'gar ner vode, jate tuur.

I call myself Outis (from the Odyssey, Greek for Nobody) Hawkwind (an English acid band) but my actual name is Bobby. I prefer Outis.
Not a very Mandalorian name, I understand that. I'm a roleplayer involved in an online Star Wars simulation where I play an Amani headhunter who ascended from Maridun and formed a mercenary unit that became authorized representatives of the bounty hunting guild and accepted a client retainer agreement with the Mandalore government. As a sort of foreign legion, I accepted the Mandalorian codes including the Six Actions and the Canons of Honor.

Ibic cuyir te goyust.

ca'tra
Verd

Unread post by ca'tra » 08 Mar 2021 01:39

Olarom, Outis! Emuur urcir gar.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Outis Hawkwind
Verd

Unread post by Outis Hawkwind » 08 Mar 2021 03:11

Vor entye, aliit. Jate yaim'ol.

I'm not a linguistic scholar, just a Fandalorian (if you'll excuse the expression) but I do love my roleplaying and to portray a Mando one must observe the Resol'nare. That means using the language when among other Mando'ade and also in certain cases where the public can view the names of ships and facilities, so as to be recognized by other Mandalorians. I run a chain of taverns where bounty hunting contracts are turned in and assigned, and these are all named "Beroyab" to attract the attention of other Mandos.

For the Mandalore government I once tried to craft a promotional video. The program I used fouled-up all my cuts, but despite the bad transitions, the music is Mandalorian and so is the text (Canons of Honor). Maybe it's fun to watch?

https://youtu.be/N_ar7fgrUjE

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 08 Mar 2021 05:28

Olarom!
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Jessibelle
Verd

Unread post by Jessibelle » 08 Mar 2021 13:38

Su'cuy gar!

I'm Jess and I live in the UK. I came here after watching The Mandalorian and deciding that I wanted to make my own beskar'gam. I am hoping to join the Mandalorian Mercs once I've got it built, but that's a fair way off yet.
I've been a Star Wars fan since I was five years old and was allowed to watch Episode 4. I went to see the prequels at the cinema (showing my age there lol).
I'm loving learning about Mando culture and history, and the language is just *chefs kiss*

ca'tra
Verd

Unread post by ca'tra » 08 Mar 2021 16:07

I like the term "Fandalorian," Outis. :lol: Kandosii on the video, I love 'vode an.'

Jate urcir gar, Jess, bal olarom!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 09 Mar 2021 04:24

I suspect the number of people here who like the prequels is higher than average, I do too

Ramaanla
Verd

Unread post by Ramaanla » 12 Mar 2021 03:24

Hello! I've been a huge Star Wars nerd for god knows how long, and decided to join this forum! (I mean, why not?) I hope I can learn to speak Mando'a a lot better here, (so far I just know a few words and phrases) and am looking forward to hanging out in the community!

By the way, my username is Mando'a for "mortal." I picked it because it's a nice metaphor and it's one of the few words I know so far!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 12 Mar 2021 05:36

Olarom, ramaanla! K'oyacyi, don't wanna prove you're mortal before you've picked up the language!

ca'tra
Verd

Unread post by ca'tra » 14 Mar 2021 14:09

Su cuy'gar, Ramaanla!

Trudemaethion
Verd

Unread post by Trudemaethion » 23 Mar 2021 04:34

Su’cuy anade,
I’m Trudemaethion, Tru for short. I’ve been messing around with mando’a for a while and translated some songs and stories. If anyone is interested in those, they’re posted under Trudemaethien on Ao3.
What brought me here was looking for a place to speak mando’a with other people. I’d just been using the dictionary and tumblr/discord resources til now, and like a di’kut I didn’t actually realize there was a forum, lol.
Ni ven’emuuri jorhaa’ir!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 23 Mar 2021 05:25

Olarom!

ca'tra
Verd

Unread post by ca'tra » 23 Mar 2021 17:39

Su'cuy Tru!

JaurezCotha
Verd

Unread post by JaurezCotha » 16 Apr 2021 13:05

Su'cuy!
Greetings to everyone, you can call me "Ako" if you want. I was studying a few languages like Latin, Swedish and Norwegian and I thought that would be great if I can learn the grammar and vocabulary of a Star Wars language and I'm here for Mando'a!

reesey_piecey
Verd

Unread post by reesey_piecey » 24 Apr 2021 17:31

Su'cuy, vode! Very new to Star Wars (the Mandalorian is what finally got me to watch the three trilogies, and I just finished binging the Clone Wars) but I totally get why it's a cult classic now! The Jedi were interesting to me, I guess, but the people that *really* fascinated me were the Mando'ade. The language looks awesome and I'm super excited to learn! I'm very much a shiny, but I'm looking forward to going through all of the dedicated individuals here have compiled :)

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 25 Apr 2021 18:28

Olarom! Glad to have you here!

Anji
Verd

Unread post by Anji » 06 May 2021 12:46

Hello, I'm Anji (also in real life, spelled slightly different) and this is my third attempt to learn Mando'a, now the kids are grown. I came upon it through Karen Traviss's Republic Commando, game and books. I'll go now and hunt for a notebook (the paper kind) and start jotting down vocabulary. 😊

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 07 May 2021 03:46

Olarom! Always nice to have more people to talk to!

ca'tra
Verd

Unread post by ca'tra » 11 May 2021 00:56

Su'cuy Anji! Belated olarom. There are some great resources here.

Jhutatia Cadera
Verd

Unread post by Jhutatia Cadera » 24 May 2021 10:03

Su'cuy Vode!

And thank you Adi'karta for all your help with your anti spam question :) feels like a rite of passage to poke an admin to get the real question!

SO hi all ,so i'm a married "lady" From Devon UK (also not single lol) and I am one of those 2nd generation fans, one of those raised on ep 4, 5, 6. and was in collage during the launch of 1 and 2, and learning to adult by the time of 3 (still don't think i've got the hang of this "adulting" thing). but please don't get me started on 7, 8 and 9. I'm still not over the feeling of betrayal with those yet. (not sure i ever will be)
so back on to me a bit. well i work part time in animal rescue, i also do temp work with agencies for the more mundane jobs to keep my income at a liveable level (animal welfare work does not have a high rate of pay unless you are the CEOs), i also do some artwork in the form of painting model army's (such as Warhammer but not limited to) and i often make my own cos-play and larp costumes, when i get the time to do nerdy stuff!
other interests of mine are things like wild food and foraging, gaming, hand arts and crafts (knitting and stuff like that), Viking and "celtic" re-enactment
and a whole bunch of other stuff that would turn this "hi here's a bit about me" into a small novel.
so and advance apology, I do suffer with Dyslexia as in my childhood many teachers still considered it a child being lazy and refusing to learn over it being a learning disability that is seen as today. i've overcome it some what but i am still prone to bad grammar and spelling this has also earned me the nick name "typo queen"
so nice to meet you all <3