Mandalorian Ritual Symbology

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
Vlet Hansen
Verd

Mandalorian Ritual Symbology

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 26 Feb 2024 21:40

Well, I was talking with Augest about Mandalorian mysticism and the like, and it got me in the mood to whip up something like a Mandalorian version of tarot, which I'll link for the convenience of not trying to format on mobile in here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sb_ ... p=drivesdk

I knocked it out pretty quick so there's bound to be things worth improving, but it's nice to get the stuff that kicks around my head out on paper once in a while.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

ParjaiTracyn
Verd

Re: Mandalorian Ritual Symbology

Unread post by ParjaiTracyn » 28 Feb 2024 03:54

The depth and thought put into this is kandosiila. You have a great balance of how each aspect can be viewed as positive or negative. Thank you for sharing!

Do each of symbols appear in each of the Houses? I have forgotten how the Tarot deck is set up.

A few ideas seemed off in my quick read-through, perhaps because I misread something. Why is The Shadow something bad, considering that the Taung called themselves the Shadow Warriors? Why is Death something bad, considering the euphemism for it is "marching far away," and the ancient idea of Mandalorian heaven was continuing the fight with Kad Ha'rangir and protecting the heavenly homestead? Someone (was it you, Vlet?) proposed that "ca'nara" means "night actions," using the archaic plural, so night activities would be seen in a positive light.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 28 Feb 2024 04:32

I wouldn't worry too much about what real life tarot does, my ideas with this started with that as inspiration but pretty rapidly diverged. I don't remember offhand, but I don't think major arcana are associated with a suit.

Regarding Shadow: I don't view it as inherently bad, more as the physical embodiment of the dangers to test yourself against and simultaneously the reason why such testing is necessary. Being a warrior of the shadows would be a positive thing because it would mean you're tested against the real world, capable of not only surviving it, but becoming the danger itself.

Regarding Death: the word most commonly used is kyr'am, the end of change. This is the final stagnation, the last victory of Arasuum. Euphemisms are common in every culture to make it less painful to talk about, but Mandalorians don't recklessly seek death. They might be willing to die for a good reason, but the armor isn't just there for looks, y'know? Joining the Manda might be all well and good for the stars, but the clan left behind will still feel that loss.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 28 Feb 2024 08:49

Agh, I gotta redo everything for what I'm doing.
Trikar’la’kar'taylir cuy or'dinii’geroya, bal ni’cuy di'kut be laamyne siver.

Tra'nau
Verd

Unread post by Tra'nau » 29 Feb 2024 15:06

Kandosii! I don’t know much about tarot but the detail alone is stunning me. One thing occurred to me, though- several of the houses were symbolized by some significant animal, but I didn’t see a Mythosaur anywhere. On the other hand, as such a universal image, I can see how it would be hard to confine to just one house or symbol. Any thoughts on this?
Linguistics is better with jetpacks

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 01 Mar 2024 02:06

Yeah, it's kinda hard to decide where to put it, since it means so many things! Does it go in the shadow, a symbol of fantastic danger to test yourself against? Does it go in stars as a symbol of Mandalorian culture? Storms as emblematic of the Manda? Tricky!

The best place for it is likely as a symbol of Beasts. The only reason I didn't include it there is... I honestly forgot about it entirely while I was writing this, embarrassing as that is to admit!

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 12 Mar 2024 16:05

So, where is the ritual aspect of these cards? How do you divine your future?

Anyway, maybe the Mythosaur can be something like a wild card.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 13 Mar 2024 03:45

As for how, I don't have a method worked up. I was just making some visual metaphors that would work for such purposes, but the actual mechanics of their application remains undecided as of now.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 13 Mar 2024 06:36

Cactus juice, obviously.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 13 Mar 2024 06:40

The quenchiest!

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 13 Mar 2024 07:55

Can’t have a religious space race without hallucinatory fortune telling.