Mandalorian Craftsmen/Artisans

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
She'laar
Verd

Mandalorian Craftsmen/Artisans

Unread post by She'laar » 19 Dec 2019 07:24

Su'cuy vode an! I have a silly question that has been pestering me for a while now.

Being nomadic I imagine that most of the Mando'ade would be able to repair their own gear and that Blacksmithing would be a very important job. But what about actual artisans/craftsmen?

Would it be up to the family to make things like clothes, dinnerware, and basic household items? Or would they mostly buy and trade for them? Would something handmade and given as a gift be treasured because of the time/skill/resources that went into it?

I apologize if there was already a discussion on this.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Re: Mandalorian Craftsmen/Artisans

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 20 Dec 2019 20:59

I suspect it's a little of both. You'd need to be able to make and repair things as a general concept, but certain people probably specialized in it more. It's one thing to be able to fix a torn suit, and another to be able to tailor something nicely. People with skills would likely be able to trade using them.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

T H E V O I D
Verd

Unread post by T H E V O I D » 01 Jun 2020 20:02

The Disney series (The Mandalorian) seems to corroborate the above, at least in the episodes I've watched so far. A Mandalorian blacksmith is shown to be keeping her local community together and grounded in the Resol'nare. Other important specialized crafters (skilled in creating furniture, perhaps, or useful weapon attachments) might also be regarded highly among their tribe and community in a similar way.
“If there’s one thing I’ve learned from you, master, it’s that following direct orders isn’t always the best way to solve a problem." - Ahsoka Tano

Mirjahaal Choruk
Verd

Unread post by Mirjahaal Choruk » 07 Dec 2020 11:15

Since oral tradition is so important, I'd guess shapes like the mandalorian diamond and the visor T would just be used to adorn foreign objects to reflect foundlings become Mando'ade (sabine wrens art). Customization and personalization of native and foreign objects just seems to be what we do.

But then again, maybe not with everything like spoons and shovels. Maybe just the important stuff? But if you are a chef, spoons are very important... good question.

Mir

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 07 Dec 2020 21:06

I mean, I'm all for adding that kind of flair to things, regardless of origin. You're right, spoons in general might be a bit too boring to be worth it, unless it's your favorite spoon ever or something...
Shi adate kotep luubid...