Gota'tuur (Birthday)

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
Linebeck
Verd

Gota'tuur (Birthday)

Unread post by Linebeck » 19 May 2017 17:02

So today is my birthday, and now I'm wondering what the Mando's do to celebrate birth. So I created this topic to ask my question, and so people have a place to say it's their birthday.
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Re: Gota'tuur (Birthday)

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 21 May 2017 03:02

Jate gote'tuur!
Do Mandos make a big deal of birthdays? If so why? Anyone?
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 23 May 2017 18:54

From a practical viewpoint, throwing birthday parties is a waste of energy and resources.
In Triple Zero, Fi mentioned having never had a birthday celebration (though this would be impractical for clones, as so many of them share the same birthdate).

I would assume gifts may still happen, but I wouldn't expect a Mando to throw the kind of parties we see today.
However, for the last birthday party I went to, we all went paintballing. Such an activity could be incredibly useful for Mandalorians, as it is a semi-harmless activity that can help hone some (but not nearly all) of their combat skills.

Keep in mind that these are just my opinions.

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 23 May 2017 23:11

I'd imagine it'd be an affair for skraan'ikase possibly, given what's seen in I believe 501st. The scene where they have a "festival" type thing and Ny makes Kal cookies and shit. If you had the time to spend on such a thing. Like I guess if it fell around a time when someone returned back to the main yaim and we weren't running off back to war or something. They're not constantly out warring, after all.

Linebeck
Verd

Unread post by Linebeck » 25 May 2017 15:48

Thanks for input ner'vod!
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 29 May 2017 03:03

I imagine birthday/ Winter fete gifts are usually practical: new boots, shirts, maybe armour plates. Things like weddings or baby showers are specific gifts that people need.
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

Mirshko Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Mirshko Ordo » 10 Apr 2018 01:38

Going off of the paintball idea: I'm sure combative activities aren't anything unusual for mando'ade, so what if there was a twist centered around whoever's birthday it was? Maybe they play a game of hide and seek in the woods with paintball guns where the (clan or the person's friends/immediate family etc.) had to hunt the birthday boy/girl while the birthday person has to eliminate everyone hunting them. This would be a challenge to hone/prove their ability to stay hidden and kill quietly OR to directly take on a force of superior numbers. It would be a good way to gauge progress and see where they need to train as well.