Mandalorian Holidays

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
Aondeug
Verd

Re: Mandalorian Holidays

Unread post by Aondeug » 24 Apr 2017 07:14

Bonfires. I'm not sure which of these would fit best with a bonfire, but bonfires or just fire related shenanigans are some of the coolest things holiday wise. Not really sure what meaning the fire might have though is the issue. Like with Gaelpol the bonfire is lit to rekindle the "hearth" in the home and keep your family safe and protected. You also walk around it three times as well. In Theravada Buddhism the fire is instead burnt to symbolize each of the Three Jewels, before you melt down all the candles to make one large candle for the monks. There's a lot of reasons fire gets incorporated into these things. Usually for...purifying or blessing purposes, symbolic reasons, or to honor the dead. Given how important honoring the dead is to them though and that fire is orange and orange is the color of Shereshoy possibly something in that vein?

Also I just think Mandos would find awesome ways to make use of bonfire related shenanigans. Like there's, I think it is Scottish folkpractice, with Bealtainne. Where you jump over the bonfire. Just everyone goes up and jumps over a roaring fire. Barefoot if I recall? And if you get singed you're the one who gets to be "dead" for the rest of the night.

Fire's just rad.

Outis Hawkwind
Verd

Re: Mandalorian Holidays

Unread post by Outis Hawkwind » 17 Nov 2021 23:38

43 years ago today, on what Wookiees celebrate as Life Day, the Star Wars Holiday Special aired and introduced the world to Boba Fett.
I'm not sure how that could be interpreted in-universe but it seems like it should be an important day for all Mandophiles.

In my role-playing group, this was honored with some subtlety. Everybody knows that the Kelita River winds around the city of Keldabe. But rivers must flow to the sea, and in the galaxy map the planet Mandalore features a great equatorial ocean that the Kelita feeds. Life on Earth began in the ocean, and in the description for Manda'yaim I named the ocean Sho'cye Nelvana. That is the name of the Canadian company that animated the story in which Boba Fett appeared, "The Story of the Faithful Wookiee".