Mando Skraan and Recipes

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
Vlet Hansen
Verd

Re: Mando Skraan and Recipes

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 11 May 2021 01:26

How'd it turn out? I'm thinking about making it again when I have time, but making it much spicier
Shi adate kotep luubid...

ca'tra
Verd

Unread post by ca'tra » 11 May 2021 04:07

I've made it twice - as you suggested the 2nd time I used more spices. I've really enjoyed it and will definitely have it again. I haven't tried it over rice yet, but I plan to do that, too.

I am also going to try substituting sweet potato for the regular potato next time. I'm not sure why that occurred to me, but since there's already a starch in the form of pasta/couscous/rice, I think that leaving out the potato would be fine, and I have a feeling that sweet potato would complement the sort of savory/sweet flavor of the dish. I also thought about adding peas, but I suspect that's because I'm always looking to add more vegetables to my diet and they don't have a particular strong flavor.

My mom suggested mushrooms, but even though I like them I didn't feel like they'd add a lot to the dish. But if you're a fan, that might be interesting. And I'll add more spices again next time I make it.

I really like the fact that it reheats well, so there's no problem making a big pot and reheating it.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Mirneto
Verd

Unread post by Mirneto » 18 May 2021 00:53

Mirneto’s Gi Dumpling Soup
(Mandalorian Fish)
~ 5 Large Servings

Dough - ½ pound (~5 large dumplings, or make many small)
1 cup flour
~6 tbsp water (warm)

Pour flour into a mixing bowl. Mix in water while stirring, coating all the flour evenly. Start kneading the dough in the bowl together into one big ball. If more water is needed, add it one teaspoon at a time until it all clumps together.

Once cohesive, knead on a flat surface for about two minutes, or until it springs back after poking it with only a slight indent from your finger.

Place it in a sealed plastic bag for anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours.

After it rests, you can take it out, and make your wrappers. Aim for over 3 ½ inch diameter.

Dumplings (~ 5 large)
⅓ lbs white fish (cod, or whatever you prefer)
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp white pepper
2 tbsp stock (or water)
¾ tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
¾ tbsp ginger
½ cup chives
½ lbs dough

To make the filling, cut fish into 1 inch chunks (remove bones if any), place aside. In a small bowl, combine salt, white pepper, stock, soy sauce, vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil. Mix well.

Place fish in a food processor with about 2 tbsp of seasoning liquid. Run the processor while pouring in remaining seasoning liquid through the feed tube. Continue until it’s a coarse paste, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides down.

Remove paste to a bowl and mix in ginger and chives. Let sit for about 30 minutes to develop flavor. Should be about 1 cup of filling.

Place wrapper in cupped hand, scoop about 1 tablespoon of filling into it and seal. There should be about ½ inch of dough sealing it, which you can pleat. Steam 8 minutes.
Soup (~ 5 large servings)

8 cups stock
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp asian chili sauce
2 eggs
4 green onion
½ tsp sesame oil
Salt/White pepper to taste

Add 8 cups of stock, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and asian chili sauce (gochujang/sriracha, whatever is your preference) to a large pot, stir. Heat over medium-high heat until simmer. (Optional add ¼ cup cornstarch for thickness while simmering. Add slowly for 1 minute)

Continue stirring. Dizzle in whisked eggs to make ribbons. Add green onion (whites), sesame oil, and salt/white pepper. If you prefer to be hotter add more chili sauce.

Finally,

Once the soup is ready, place steamed dumplings directly in soup and serve immediately.

Also goes good with rice if you like.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 19 May 2021 14:57

Intriguing, I'll have to try it sometime

Jhutatia Cadera
Verd

Mandalorian Tiingilar

Unread post by Jhutatia Cadera » 04 Jun 2021 11:07

(found on https://thegluttonousgeek.com)

Makes 12 servings.
Equipment: Oven, stovetop, 12-inch skillet, 9″x13″ baking dish, pastry brush, cooking spray, and a kitchen knife.

Ingredients:
Filling:
18 oz. hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced butternut squash
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 to 3 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup porter or chocolate stout
kosher salt
Crust:
16 oz. package phyllo dough, room temperature
1 and 1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup whole milk
1 egg
blue food coloring
kosher salt
Garnish:
6 tablespoons old-style mustard
36 dried cranberries
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 170°C (350°F.)
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on the stovetop over a medium-high flame until it shimmers. Saute onions and butternut squash in the oil for one minute.
Add the horseradish and sausage to the pan, breaking it up with a spoon as it browns. Cook, frequently stirring for another five minutes, then stir in the flour, cranberries, and brown sugar.
Deglaze the pan with the beer and cider vinegar and stir-cook frequently for another 5 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir in kosher salt to taste, then transfer the filling to a container to cool while assembling the casserole.
Coat the inside of the baking dish with cooking spray. Unwrap one of the two rolls of phyllo dough. Take up three sheets at one time and cover the bottom of the dish as a single, solid layer. Brush the top of the layer with olive oil and repeat this step until you run out of the first roll.
Brush the top layer with olive oil then distribute the meat filling over it. Unwrap the second roll and cover the filling in the same three-sheet per layer configuration as you did with the base of the pie. Brush the final layer with olive oil then cut the pie into 12 squares with a sharp kitchen knife.
Whisk the egg, a pinch or two of kosher salt and 3-4 drops of blue food colouring into the milk, then pour evenly over the top of the pie. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour until the crust is patched with golden brown.
Let the Tiingilar cool for 7-10 minutes before removing the squares from the dish. Garnish slices with 1/2 tablespoon of mustard and three dried cranberries before serving.

always21
Verd

Unread post by always21 » 07 Aug 2021 22:41

Jessibelle wrote:
15 Apr 2021 14:31
always21 wrote:
25 Jan 2021 21:21

100 Gramm Ptitim (israeli couscous) since I couldn't get this, I took little round noodles
Would regular couscous work? It's available in loads of supermarkets here in the UK
No, regular couscous has very small "balls" and doesn't stay single, but ends up in a mash. Ptitim is shown as a bit bigger and separated balls.

Tra'nau
Verd

Unread post by Tra'nau » 26 Jul 2022 04:06

I know this thread is long dead, but I hadn’t seen any full recipes for shig anywhere and I thought I’d post the one I’ve been using for a while. I had originally been using some lemon or lime juice to add to the citrus aspect, but I eventually switched over to all dry ingredients after adding ginger- it was faster that way. Keep in mind that these ingredients can be substituted for fresh ones at any time, as well as added to and subtracted from, in the fluid spirit of Mandalorian cooking. (Also, sorry about the tiny measurements- I used the recipe for a while, measuring by sight, and measured approximately after the fact)

1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
Small pinch/shake of dry parsley flakes (and I mean TINY)
~1/16 teaspoon paprika
Small shakes of ginger and cayenne powder to taste (ginger adds citrus element and hetikles, cayenne adds more heturam)
~1/8 teaspoon matcha powder
1 cup (8 oz) of water

Mix all dry ingredients together and put them into your mug of choice (either loose, as I usually go, or in a strainer, which may give you more of a struggle because of some of the finer powders involved). Heat the water to between 200-212 degrees fahrenheit and pour it into the mug. After this, I suggest stirring it until it looks visibly diffused- the color usually ranges from a yellow-green to an amber (like that described by Karen Traviss) depending on your exact ingredient ratio. I usually end up on the amber side- It’s likely I go a little heavy on the paprika.

Lastly, just because I want to get it out there, I have no idea how this affects people with specific dietary needs/restrictions- I’ve had no trouble with it, but I have no food allergies or dietary limitations of any kind.

Hope you enjoy!
Linguistics is better with jetpacks

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 27 Jul 2022 03:34

Wayii, that's complex! I'll need to give it a try!

Shig itself is just any tisane, so no matter what recipe you use you'll truly be making shig, but that does sound like something Mando'ade would enjoy!

Tra'nau
Verd

Unread post by Tra'nau » 27 Jul 2022 03:48

Haha, I did make it sound pretty complicated…

Glad it seems interesting, this is the first time I’ve given anyone the recipe!
Linguistics is better with jetpacks

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 19 Mar 2024 16:24

Oh, more things to try.
Trikar’la’kar'taylir cuy or'dinii’geroya, bal ni’cuy di'kut be laamyne siver.