Applying Our Culture Practically

Discuss concepts of Mandalorian culture and lifestyle here.
Linebeck
Verd

Re: Applying Our Culture Practically

Unread post by Linebeck » 19 Sep 2017 19:29

Aarlaya wrote:
Ruus wrote: Random question, has anyone trained their dog to only respond to commands in Mando'a?
I was going to try to train my dog in German, but kept accidentally defaulting to Mando'a. I didn't get very far though, since the neighbours took my dog... :ugh:
I made a thread for that actually.
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Linebeck
Verd

Unread post by Linebeck » 19 Sep 2017 19:30

BlackSwordKirito wrote:If you wouldn't mind posting those pics, I'd love to see them. I intend to make my own set of beskar'gam sometime this year, and I would love to have the specs from an authentic(ish) set to base m own design off of.
I seem to have misplaced the, but I'll look.
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 25 Oct 2017 03:55

Here's a couple questions sort of relevant in the face of discussing marriage and the like:
Which partner leaves his/her clan to go to the other's? Do you keep your clan name or take your partner's? Who decides which name your children will have?
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 28 Oct 2017 16:52

Aarlaya wrote:Here's a couple questions sort of relevant in the face of discussing marriage and the like:
Which partner leaves his/her clan to go to the other's? Do you keep your clan name or take your partner's? Who decides which name your children will have?
In Legends, couples did not appear to take the name of either one. Mirta Ghev remained Mirta Ghev when she married Ghes Orade.

In Canon, according to Dave Filoni (Rebels' Recon season 3), the person who marries into the clan of higher status takes that clan name. So if the man marries a woman who belongs to a clan of a higher status than the man's, he takes her clan name. (As happened with Sabine Wren's father; her mother was the Wren, and her father married into the clan. However, we still don't know if his name actually changed.)

I don't know how the child's name would work, though.

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 31 Jan 2018 22:09

I don't know if Legends canon ever said what happens with kids' names. Kad did take Darman's clan name of Skirata, but given that his mother was formerly an aruetii it might be weird if he was Venku Tur-Mukan. Really the only cases of kids taking names I can think of are cases like Boba where there's only one "birth" parent or cases like Bardan where we're being adopted in by a single father.

It is noted that fathers traditionally pick the children's given names in Mandalorians that have a human sort of reproduction and marriage going on. I don't know if that means they'd take the father's clan name necessarily, though. Or if the clan with the higher status gets priority clan name wise like in current canon. My current gut feeling is to go with the "higher status clan decides the clan name" idea and just slotting that in right now, since that's easiest. Maybe have a caveat of "the parents and kid can decide whatever the fuck they want". Mandos seem to really love individuality and personal decisions, so I could see kids potentially deciding which clan name they prefer to take.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 04 Mar 2018 21:12

THere's also hyphenations in cases, such as the Beviin-Vasur farm. I imagine you wouldn't do that across too many generations if only for practicality, but the end result seems to be there's no hard rules in place. In fact, it seems like the last names involved with everyone on that farm were unpredictable.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 01 Jun 2018 01:39

I don't remember, were the Beviins and the Vasurs even related in any way though?

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 01 Jun 2018 01:53

Goran Beviin was married to Medrit Vasur.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 09 Jun 2018 02:09

Vlet Hansen wrote:Goran Beviin was married to Medrit Vasur.
Ori'shab, I completely missed that! >.<

Tempest
Verd

Unread post by Tempest » 03 Nov 2018 02:01

I'm back with another question for you all to weigh in on! :)

I think we could probably all agree that Kal Skirata, Jango Fett, and Walon Vau are all Mandalorians. But yet, think about how their priorities, personalities, and lives in general were completely different! How much variance, and in what ways, do you think there is among Mando personalities/values? Or, for that matter, in any culture?
Spoiler: show
Kal Skirata was very focused on his aliit, he was a very intense father-type, and he was an orphan-turned-mercenary before getting and losing a family followed by getting his act together and taking care of his clone boys and their families. Jango Fett was very focused on being an amazing fighter, he was a very strong-silent-type lone wolf, and he was raised by Jaster Mereel prior to leading life as a bounty hunter that led him to the quieter Kamino job which ended up getting him killed. Walon Vau was obsessed with making himself the perfect warrior, he was absolutely harsh and practical, and he was raised by a snotty admiralty house that he left to become a Mandalorian warrior for years of experience allowing him to take on the job of training the clone commandos to the same standard of perfection his father impressed on him, except with a combat focus.

Please note that I'm not saying that all Navy folks are like Vau.
Darasuum kote? Wer'cuy. Kartaylir darasuum ner vode? Darasuum te ori'waadasla.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 03 Nov 2018 18:49

The handy thing about the Resol'nare is they're supposed to kind of provide a definition to the "scope" of what being Mando is. As long as you really follow that, you're good. I'd say in many ways, the Resol'nare break down into two concepts: community, and readiness.

As you mentioned, there's a lot of variation in how that can be expressed. Jango fought for his people up to the point that he was willing to participate in a massive scheme to take revenge on the Jedi for Galidraan. Vau was harsh and cruel, but mostly because he felt that's what his men needed in order to become truly capable in combat. Skirata was more obviously emotionally invested, yes, but that doesn't invalidate the other two and their methods.

Beyond things like that, you also have the far extreme as it pertains to readiness. People living on Manda'yaim, for example, weren't always warriors, they lived as farmers and blacksmiths and veterinarians and the like. They were arguably deeply invested in the community in ways even Jango and company weren't, yet spent far less (though certainly not no) time training for war. Despite this, they were still as much Mando'ade as the warriors were.

So yeah,there's a really, really wide scope in what it means to be Mandalorian.

Tempest
Verd

Unread post by Tempest » 03 Nov 2018 22:41

I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't think of that before I posted my question XD But thank you nonetheless.
Darasuum kote? Wer'cuy. Kartaylir darasuum ner vode? Darasuum te ori'waadasla.