A collection of Mando'a courses and resources I have created

Threads for lessons should go here. One thread per author/language, please.
DiscWarrior
Verd

A collection of Mando'a courses and resources I have created

Unread post by DiscWarrior » 11 May 2017 16:58

I have created a handful of courses to help someone completely new to Mando'a learn the language from scratch. I am neither a linguist nor curriculum writer, so I expect all of these resources to change over time as they improve.

Here is the Memrise Course for Beginners. This first course covers some basic words and phrases that are essential to speaking Mando'a. I will be adding to this course over time as well as creating intermediate and advanced courses. Expect to also see courses of related nouns and verbs (household, combat, Star Wars, etc.).
Here is the course for Beginner Mando'a.
https://www.memrise.com/course/1487804/ ... beginners/

Here is the text course that accompanies the Memrise course. I would copy paste the text to the forum, but this is a 10 page lesson, and would be very clunky in forum format.
Basic Lesson 1
http://imgur.com/a/aVX2K
For some reason when I exported the file from Google Docs to PDF my formatting got all out of whack.

I have also created a memrise course to help you read the Mandalorian alphabet. Here is the course for the Mando'a Alphabet. In this course I used the original alphabet as created for the movie AoTC with a substitution made with ericstormtrooper's 'C' since 1) this is a better character and less likely to be confused with 'U', and 2) this is typically what is seen around the internet since it is a downloadable font.
The Mando'a Alphabet with numbers included. Also, I think the numbers are horribly designed characters, and it's rather obvious that they never intended to be used or read. </rant>
https://www.memrise.com/course/1464927/mandoa-alphabet/

Here is the Numbers, Colors, and Shapes course. With this course, I have taken a slight liberty with the shape names. The word for Circle (Briirud) is a contraction of the words for "line" and "around", and the word for square (cunak) is a contraction of "four" (cuir) and "corner" (nakil). Since these are the only two shape words that KT gave us, I extrapolated a couple more shape words. For triangle I made 'Ehnak' which is "three" (Ehn) and "corner (nakil), and pentagon as 'Raynak' since five is 'rayshe'a'.
https://www.memrise.com/course/1492970/ ... nd-shapes/

Of course, before starting anything, consult Karen Traviss' official grammar guide.
https://web.archive.org/web/20110713135 ... rguide.htm.

I will try to update this post with future lessons. Please feel free to leave feedback, opinions, suggestions, etc. Don't worry about upsetting me, I have thick skin. If this needs to be formatted different,or you spot any errors, please let me know either by PM, reply, or the email provided in the Basic Lesson 1 file.

Vor ent'ye vode!

EDIT:
Here's the images of the Basic Mando'a Lesson

Adi'karta
Admin

Re: A collection of Mando'a courses and resources I have cre

Unread post by Adi'karta » 11 May 2017 19:41

:shock: That is a lot of material, vode. Ori'vore!

I've been super busy with other projects and life in general but I will definitely make some time in the next week to read through this course material you created.

-Adi
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

DiscWarrior
Verd

Unread post by DiscWarrior » 11 May 2017 20:06

Thank you. Any and all feedback is welcomed. I know this is in an early stage, and will hopefully change for the better.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 25 Jul 2017 04:06

Overall I think it looks good, but I do have a question. You have put the pronunciation of -oa as 'ah'. That would then mean that 'mando'a' would be pronounced 'mandah'. Not sure if I'm sold on that as a solid pronunciation. :)

Other than that it looks good to me as an introduction!

DiscWarrior
Verd

Unread post by DiscWarrior » 16 Aug 2017 21:10

Thank you for the feedback! This guide as it stands is a version 1.0, and currently the 2.0 is in the works. I have found multiple errors in my own work.

The pronunciation was taken straight from KTs dictionary. As far as I can tell, only the word "Troan" (Face), has the diphthong "OA", so that is where I pulled that pronunciation from. Also, the beten " ' " in Mando'a prevents the "o'a" from being pronounced as the diphthong "OA".

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 23 Sep 2017 02:26

Vor'e indeed!

One thing I suggest is grabbing the numbers and prepositions and sticking them in that document too. They're pretty vital to basics and are kind of a pain to track down at times. Though you're probably on that since it's a work in progress and things take time.

I'll look through the memrise course soon and comment on that too.

EDIT: Went through the first two lessons of the memrise course. Everything seems to be fine on that end. I'll head through the others soon as well.