Canonical Variants of Mandalorian

Discussion surrounding texts which relate to Mando'a, but which are not written in Mando'a, go here.
AurekFonts
Verd

Canonical Variants of Mandalorian

Unread post by AurekFonts » 15 Sep 2020 19:41

I made this chart, based on similar ones by Dan Hague, to compare the Attack of the Clones and The Clone Wars variants of Mandalorian.

The main difference is a general simplification of the letters, reducing the number of strokes to generally not more than 4, which makes hand writing much more manageable. For instance, H which used to require a minimum of 7 strokes, now only requires 3.

Another change is the fact that the 26 original letters have been consolidated down to 24. This was done by combining "I/J" and "W/X."

I don't have a font for the Attack of the Clones version (yet). What you see here is an altered version of the "New Mando" (Mandalorian 2010) font by Erik Stormtrooper.
I did create a font for The Clone Wars version, which is freely available at https://AurekFonts.github.io/?font=MandoAF

Cin Vhetin
Verd

Re: Canonical Variants of Mandalorian

Unread post by Cin Vhetin » 15 Sep 2020 21:09

Very interesting. I have to say, the Clone Wars version does look a lot more managable. Though the choice of combining i and j makes words like jii look kinda silly.

Also, my main issue with the font was not how hard it was to write (although that was certainly problematic), but how hard the letters are to tell apart. Some of them look almost identical, when written carelessly. And I can't imagine a Mando sitting down and tidily taking his notes.
Tra'cyar mav!

CoyoteSly
Verd

Unread post by CoyoteSly » 21 Nov 2021 18:13

I know this is an old post, I just wanna say i really appreciate your fonts! Especially MandoAF, I think I use that one the most and I recommend it to everyone.
Coyote#0351 on discord

Senaat
Verd

Unread post by Senaat » 07 Feb 2023 15:43

Cin Vhetin wrote:
15 Sep 2020 21:09
Very interesting. I have to say, the Clone Wars version does look a lot more managable. Though the choice of combining i and j makes words like jii look kinda silly.

Also, my main issue with the font was not how hard it was to write (although that was certainly problematic), but how hard the letters are to tell apart. Some of them look almost identical, when written carelessly. And I can't imagine a Mando sitting down and tidily taking his notes.
I know this is old but; I don't know too much about Mandalorian culture, but I feel like most Mandos would use Basic when writing, and Mandalorian characters/letters when doing official things, since Basic (spoken and written) is like Mandarin for the Chinese. You have your own dialects/languages but you can default to Mandarin Chinese/Basic if you need to.

I can imagine Mando kids sitting down and learning the Mandalorian character/letter system and complaining about how hard Mandalorian characters/letters can be, lol.

Anyway, I think Mandalorian characters/letters are mostly used for digital displays and writing official texts, like gravestones, inscriptions on statues, writing on beskar'gam, tattoos, etc.
Ba'jur bal Beskar'gam, Ara'nov, Aliit, Mando'a bal Mand'alor — An vencuyan mhi.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 30 Mar 2023 02:28

Yes, but, all dialects in China use the same character system as Mandarin. It's technically still the same language even if some linguists might not see it that way. Mando'a and Basic are two separate languages. I feel like since Mando'a is part of the Resol'nare, writing in Mando'a is a pride thing for them as well, to show off their culture. But then again, it is said to be primarily a spoken language anyhow.

Anyway. Someone should make both versions into actual typable fonts to download. Or something. I don't know how computers work. Make it a language pack?
Trikar’la’kar'taylir cuy or'dinii’geroya, bal ni’cuy di'kut be laamyne siver.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 01 Apr 2023 05:15

https://aurekfonts.github.io/

These folks have a lot of fonts, including some Mando'a ones.

Regarding orthographic consistency, well... Mandalorians aren't exactly famous for never ever fighting internally >.>
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 01 Apr 2023 15:40

Mm, but they're more known for fighting others. Thanks for the link.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 01 Apr 2023 18:48

Vlet Hansen wrote:
01 Apr 2023 05:15
https://aurekfonts.github.io/

These folks have a lot of fonts, including some Mando'a ones.

Regarding orthographic consistency, well... Mandalorians aren't exactly famous for never ever fighting internally >.>
You know what would be awesome though? Hilarious but awesome? If we got Microsoft or Apple or both to make Mando'a an actual selectable Language in their settings.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 01 Apr 2023 22:00

If only! Someone I know has wondered if you could get it added to google translate, as well.
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 01 Apr 2023 22:35

Time to start a petition.