Translation help!

Member-contributed translations of various texts into Mando'a
mandokotir
Verd

Translation help!

Unread post by mandokotir » 02 Oct 2022 04:20

I'm trying to translate just a small phrase, "may death never stop you." It comes from My Chemical Romance which is my favourite band, and I think it sounds like something a mando would say so I've been trying to see if I can get it in mando'a. The best I can get is nuur kyr'am draar ???? gar, which would be a literal translation and I'm not even sure the words and grammar of that would make sense (plus I cannot find a word that would be similar to stop). Any help would be greatly appreciated (:

Tra'nau
Verd

Re: Translation help!

Unread post by Tra'nau » 02 Oct 2022 15:08

The first thing I think of would be “Ke’nu’duumi kyr’am gevir gar”. To break this down:

Ke’nu’duumi
Imperative (command) prefix + negative prefix + “allow” (conjugated)
May + don’t + allow
(Note- to imply a less harsh tone (I don’t know much about how the band uses the phrase), you could replace this chunk with ‘vercopa’ and replace ‘gevir’ with ‘nu’gevi’)

Kyr’am
Death (side note- literally means ‘end-change’)

Gevir (infinitive)
Verb meaning ‘to stop’- derived from ‘gev!’, a command meaning ‘stop’ or ‘pack it in’. Could be gevar or with another vowel replacing the ‘i’- that was the first thing that occurred to me.

Gar
Pronoun for ‘you’- it looks like you knew that already

Overall, my rough translation comes back as, structured as a command, “Do not allow death to stop you.” (The option with vercopa is something like “I hope death will never stop you- you can see how the tone is different)

I hope this helps! If there’s any part of this that you disagree with/feel doesn’t fit/don’t like overall, let me know, and I’d be happy to change it up or help you do so on your own!
Linguistics is better with jetpacks

mandokotir
Verd

Unread post by mandokotir » 02 Oct 2022 17:31

Tra'nau wrote:
02 Oct 2022 15:08
The first thing I think of would be “Ke’nu’duumi kyr’am gevir gar”. To break this down:

Ke’nu’duumi
Imperative (command) prefix + negative prefix + “allow” (conjugated)
May + don’t + allow
(Note- to imply a less harsh tone (I don’t know much about how the band uses the phrase), you could replace this chunk with ‘vercopa’ and replace ‘gevir’ with ‘nu’gevi’)

Kyr’am
Death (side note- literally means ‘end-change’)

Gevir (infinitive)
Verb meaning ‘to stop’- derived from ‘gev!’, a command meaning ‘stop’ or ‘pack it in’. Could be gevar or with another vowel replacing the ‘i’- that was the first thing that occurred to me.

Gar
Pronoun for ‘you’- it looks like you knew that already

Overall, my rough translation comes back as, structured as a command, “Do not allow death to stop you.” (The option with vercopa is something like “I hope death will never stop you- you can see how the tone is different)

I hope this helps! If there’s any part of this that you disagree with/feel doesn’t fit/don’t like overall, let me know, and I’d be happy to change it up or help you do so on your own!
This makes so much sense, thank you! I was feeling like it needed to be reworded into something different instead of word for word, but I could not think of how to do that. May feels more formal to me and not super mando, more of a jedi thing. I think it being structured as a command makes perfect sense and really fits into the vibe of canon mando'a. Thank you so much again, and thank you for the breakdown of it all!

edit: may death never stop you is the name of a compilation album, so it's meaning and use can be taken however you like. i dont think theyve ever actually said it anywhere else (that I know of--the album was released after they broke up). Maybe my character would choose to say it differently based on who he's talking to, with ke’nu’duumi as a demand during a serious situation, and vercopa as more of a gentle encouragement with friends or family

Tra'nau
Verd

Unread post by Tra'nau » 02 Oct 2022 19:50

Happy to help! :) Thanks for the explanation of the phrase. I agree with the usage for each variation that you described- almost brings to mind k’oyacyi.
Linguistics is better with jetpacks