Random Quotes

Member-contributed translations of various texts into Mando'a
Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Random Quotes

Unread post by Ge'tal Buy'ce » 16 Jul 2018 10:18

For those moments when you read a particularly awesome quote and think to yourself "I wonder how that would sound in Mando'a?"

I'll be updating this root post with finished quotes as they're made. And this isn't just for me; anyone can post their own translations here, or even request them.

For clarity's sake, the translation scheme I usually use is to write the original quote in English on the first line, Mando'a on the second line, and the closest translation of Mando'a back into English on the third. Not mandatory formatting by any means, but that's how I do it and it seems to preemptively answer most questions people ask me about my translations.

-----

Someone once told me that time is like a predator that stalks us all our lives. But I prefer to think of time as a companion, reminding us to treasure each moment... because it'll never come again.
Ash'ad ru'rejorhaar'i ni meg ca'nara cuyi sa kadas meg oya'kar mhi an cuun oyare. A'ni jatne emuur mirdir be ca'nara sa burc'ya, ke'partayli'an mhi shereshir anay sur... jorcu bic olaro'draar tug'yc.
Someone told me that time is like [a] predator that hunts us all our lives. But I prefer to think of time as [a] friend, reminding us to seize every moment... because it comes never again.
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.

Void
Verd

Void

Unread post by Void » 19 Jul 2018 19:21

Void
Last edited by Void on 15 Dec 2019 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Ciri Rhaw
Verd

Re: Random Quotes

Unread post by Ciri Rhaw » 12 Jan 2019 22:23

I am not skilled enough or have the time to translate these myself, so here are some requests (if anyone is willing to do it)

-I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

-Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

-Be one with the flame

-The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it

-Beware of an old man in a profession where men usually die young

Thanks in advance!

Void
Verd

Void

Unread post by Void » 26 Jan 2019 02:14

Void
Last edited by Void on 15 Dec 2019 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Unread post by Ge'tal Buy'ce » 16 Mar 2019 07:17

Were it so easy.

For us, the storm has passed... the war is over.
Par mhi, buurenaar cuy ruyot... akaan cuy kyr.
For us, storm is past... war is finish.

But let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark and did not return.
A nu draar gyce mhi digu val meg ru'be'chaaj'taab lo ja'an dha bal ne'yaimp.
But never shall we forget those who journeyed into screaming dark and [did] not return.

For their decision required courage beyond measure; sacrifice, and unshakable conviction that their fight... our fight, was elsewhere.
Val'gycin ru'linib mirshko suum solet; runar'kadal, bal beskar urman val akaan... cuun akaan, ru'ash'taap.
Their decision needed courage beyond count; sacrifice [will-loss], and iron belief their fight... our fight, was elsewhere.

As we start to rebuild, this hillside will remain barren, a memorial to heroes fallen.
Vaal mhi yog yam'gotal'ur tug'yc, ibic bral gyc'arasuum utree'vhetin'la, tome'tayl at Mando'ade ru'trattok.
While we start to build again, this hill shall remain barren [desert-like], memory to heroes* fallen.

They ennobled all of us, and they shall not be forgotten.
Val ru'lam'hiib mhi an, bal val gyce ne'cuy ru'dig.
They elevated us all, and they shall not be forgotten.

*Mando'a conspicuously and intentionally does not have a word for "hero." What other cultures would consider heroic, Mandalorians like to think is expected of them. Acting in a less-than-heroic manner is noteworthy; heroism just means you're doing your job well. This isn't to say that Mandalorians don't have heroes, but they're typically spoken of as "true Mandalorians," or more literally, true "sons/daughters of Mandalore."
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.

Ciri Rhaw
Verd

Unread post by Ciri Rhaw » 21 Jan 2020 03:32

I haven't been able to find a translation for 'Ultimate' as in 'Mandalor the Ultimate'.
Anyone got a translation for that?

Cin Vhetin
Verd

Unread post by Cin Vhetin » 23 Jan 2020 16:37

In the extended dictionary by Taljair there is the word ani'la for that. However that is non-canon Mando'a, so beware.

Using only canon words by Kar'buir, one might perhaps replace it by laamyne (highest) or dralne (strongest).
Tra'cyar mav!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 24 Jan 2020 00:01

No, ani'la comes directly from an official translation of his title. It's not fanon.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mandalore_the_Ultimate
Shi adate kotep luubid...