Welcome to Learn Mando'a! (Post Here to Introduce Yourself)

Introduce Yourself. If you are new, you must post in here before posting anywhere else.
Ge'tal Alii'gai
Verd

Re: Welcome to Learn Mando'a! (Post Here to Introduce Yourse

Unread post by Ge'tal Alii'gai » 05 Jan 2018 19:29

Hello, everyone!

I've been into Mando'a off and on since 2009 or so, it's about time I start doing something with it and hopefully get some degree of fluency. Not there yet, but I can translate. Judging by my past attempts at translating into Latin, though, that may be a bit optimistic.

An'jy
Verd

Unread post by An'jy » 10 Jan 2018 19:34

Su'cuy vode,
I'm delighted to see this forum is still active. I played the Republic Commando game years ago and have read the books several times since then. Currrently I have embarked on reading "Bloodlines" and when I came upon Boba Fett not speaking Mando'a I didn't want to have THAT in common. Like most Mando women I have raised kids as warriors and now that they have (almost) left home, I try to follow a route of my own, a bit of bounty hunting, house keeping for runaway clones, keeping an eye on the war aka football (Bundesliga and Ligue1) and so on.
I hope I'll be able to brush up my Mando'a here a bit.
Ret'!
An'jy

Rivermoon
Verd

Unread post by Rivermoon » 23 Jan 2018 01:16

Hello all.

I started learning Mando'a a long time ago. Hoping to relearn and pick up where I had left off. I think I will start from scratch. I am actually currently part of my local state's clan as a cadet.

JaxPax
Verd

Unread post by JaxPax » 30 Jan 2018 07:37

Hello everyone!

I'm Jax. I think I should start by saying that english is not my mother tongue, and although I consider myself fluent in english I sometimes still make mistakes.
I'm new to learning Mando'a and I'm looking forward to learning even more.

rikhune
Verd

Unread post by rikhune » 28 Feb 2018 15:12

hi i have disovered mando'a few days ago and i want to learn more about it im sorry if my english is bad because im frenche ^^' i had never learn language outside of school hope it will be funny

Darasuum kote
Verd

Unread post by Darasuum kote » 01 Mar 2018 14:31

Su cuy'gar and well met!

Guess it was inevitable I'd sooner or later find myself here - where warrior culture thrives, I am soon to follow. It is my profession.
Not kidding here - I am a military historian by profession (will be getting my PhD this year), and I do not see why the study of war and warrior should be limited to actual historical events. What is generally referred to as "popular culture" has, in the past, inspired historical events, shaped political decisions, and tends to turn into "classical culture" at some vague point in the distant past.
My approach is to take popular culture seriously as a form of culture from the get-go, and anybody who denies how influential the Star Wars franchise has become really hasn't paid attention.
And so I've finally come here. What can I say, I yearn to learn - in our day and age, the pages of history are often written online, and who knows if what I learn here might not end up in an actual scientific publication?

Thank you all and let's make history!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 04 Mar 2018 20:05

Olarom at an!
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Surge
Verd

Unread post by Surge » 12 Mar 2018 23:19

Greetings,

I have been a long time fan of the mandalorians, the Karen Travis Commando novels are my favorites.

Recently I have lost my father and some years ago my grandfather and I would like to honor them with a tattoo.

I wanted to tattoo the phrase : Aliit ori'shya tal'din, or Family is more than blood, on my shoulder
I want to do this in the runes but I do not know what to do with the " ' "... So I turn to the experts here ;p

agent_ontario
Verd

Unread post by agent_ontario » 17 Mar 2018 04:28

Su'cuy! I am a Seventh-Day Adventist teen girl with a love for horses, cats, dragons, and sci-fi. One of my favourite games is Minecraft, though I haven't played for a while. I hope to create a Mando village using it. . . someday.

Question: What's the plural for beskad? I'm making a pair out of cardboard (currently gluing all the pieces together, which is slow-going) and I want to know the correct word when showing them off ^.~

I don't know how well I'd fit into Mando culture, mostly because I can't handle spicy food. :p

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 18 Mar 2018 17:18

Olarom!

Plural is easy, it's just beskade. For something ending in a vowel, it would be se, like yagai and yagaise.

agent_ontario
Verd

Unread post by agent_ontario » 18 Mar 2018 17:24

Ori'vor'e! I was a little unsure which one was correct. :)

Mirshko Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Mirshko Ordo » 09 Apr 2018 19:00

Su cuy'gar ner vode!

I've been interested in learning Mando'a for a couple years now, that's how I found the dictionary aspect of this site and only now the forum, which I only came to to point out a minor discrepancy (search vor in the Mando'a dictionary, first two words). I learned some words and basic grammar rules like pluralizing and adjectivizing (not sure if that's a real word but you get the idea) from the books and some other random vocab on my own, though my knowledge is still very limited. Hopefully, I can expand my understanding with your help.

I chose clan Ordo out of respect for Canderous Ordo, later Mandalore the Preserver. If any of you play SWtOR, you can find me by this same name on Star Forge. I'm a Mandalorian mercenary.

K'oyayci ner vode.

Ghondar
Verd

Unread post by Ghondar » 18 Apr 2018 07:23

Su cuy'gar, vode!
I fell in love with Mando'a after reading Republic commando series (as many vode here, as I have read), but I liked mandalorians all the time since first playing SW:KOTOR (and that is a waaay back).
English is not my native language (as you can probably see by now), which makes it a bit harder to learn Mando'a (going from czech to english to mando'a and back) but I hope to get there.

Question: how do you cope with Resol'nare in RL? Specifically, wearing beskar'gam?

Vor entye, and Ret''urcye mhi!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 18 Apr 2018 23:32

Olarom!

I usually wear practical clothing as my beskar'gam, since walking around in my plate carrier all the time would probably disturb people. I generally try to be prepared for life with stuff like sturdy work boots, a knife, practical pants and the like. At home I'm usually the same, though sometimes at home I'll wear the plate carrier around for familiarity.

As for identifying as a Mandalorian visually, well, I have loads of Mando shirts, and I've had a ring with a kyr'bes on it that I've worn every day for the last 6 years. It's also a surprisingly good package opener, too.

tracyn kad
Verd

Unread post by tracyn kad » 29 May 2018 01:02

hello, there i´am from chile and i want to learn more of the mando'a culture and language, my first experience with mando'a was the song vode an and i got hokked from the begining of the song and after i discover this page

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 29 May 2018 22:55

That's a common story for a lot of us, I suspect. Olarom!

Mereel Dral
Verd

Unread post by Mereel Dral » 23 Jul 2018 00:25

Su cuy'gar ner'vod!

Name's Mereel Dral. I've been using the dictionary for a good while and I've decided to join the ranks here in an effort to become more fluent in mando'a. I also want fellow mando'ad to converse with. Let's get this party started.
Vor'e!

Ornlu
Verd

Unread post by Ornlu » 10 Aug 2018 09:22

Su cuy'gar! I started learning Mando'a a few days ago with a few friends. I am here to explore learning resources and see what the consensus on pronunciation is. I hope to learn a lot and perhaps join in the broader community. For Mandalore, vode.

TheMightyHam717
Verd

Unread post by TheMightyHam717 » 12 Aug 2018 05:53

Su cuy'gar Vod! I hope to learn much about the language and culture of the Mandalorians. I hope to obtain a better grasp of the language here!

Tato
Verd

Unread post by Tato » 12 Aug 2018 09:01

Su cuy'gar! It's nice to meet all of you, I'm very eager to learn more about the language! Vode an.