List of Custom Words

All discussion regarding new words should go here.
Adi'karta
Admin

Re: List of Custom Words

Unread post by Adi'karta » 11 Oct 2013 01:55

Vlet Hansen wrote:Isn't "Val" already the word for "them"?
Indeed it is. Val translates to "they, theirs" which would extrapolate to "them." I guess when I searched the dictionary for "them" and nothing came up, I didn't think to look for similar words. :P
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 11 Oct 2013 22:44

Yeah, that's the tricky part of not being able to search a more expansive syntax. We'll get there. I'm predicting an upturn when the new episodes hit. I can't imagine they'll let Mandalorians lie silent...
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 12 Oct 2013 13:20

I could fix that somewhat easily on my own but part of my agreement with LFL was that I am not to modify the dictionary in any way. It must be presented in its entirety, unmodified. I have plans to supplement it with a separate database with a seamless connection to the main search app, such that new words and corrections show up alongside the original contents, but in a different colour so it's clear it came from a separate database, in order to remain true to my arrangement.

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 17 Dec 2013 23:33

Some "new" words I would like to see in Mando'a:

book, journal/diary, vehicle, travel (both the noun and the verb), money, pay (both the noun and the verb), earn
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 17 Dec 2013 23:50

Also, something structural. We have no word for floor, ceiling, roof, wall, door or window.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 04 Jan 2014 05:38

I've been doing some hardcore studying, and I came across one word I needed to create:

Internet/holonet = gayi'kartay (everywhere knowledge ~= distributed information)

I got it by deconstructing the following two compound words:

gayi'kaab (radio) {everywhere sound}
din'kartay (sitrep) {give knowledge/awareness}

Does this seem like a reasonable translation for internet, or does somebody have any suggestions/alternatives? I'd love to discuss this and find a better translation!

Vor'e!

P.S. - On a similar vein:

website/forum = gayiy + karyai = gayi'karyai (everywhere living room ~= distributed meeting place)

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 04 Jan 2014 07:58

I have an idea about colours as well -- the word for yellow appears to be a compound of "shi" (only) and "eyaytir" (to flee) or "oyayc" (alive), indicating maybe it's a term of derision, rather than a colour.

If that's the case, then we're left without two very important basic colours: orange and yellow. I think we need to come up with words for these.

They might be able to be derived from flame/star and related words, combined with "sal" (color):

tracinya (flame) --> tra'sal (flame-coloured)
tranyc (sunny) --> tra'sal (uh-oh, this is the same word)

Though both have that common "tra" stem, which might be derived from "dral" (bright) in this case, since "tra" means space/void (or starfield).

So if we just take "shi'yayc" (yellow) and remove the "yc" to make it a colour rather than an adjective/pejorative, perhaps we can just make "tra'sal" the new word for (flame-coloured --> orange) and fill in the gaps?

Alternatively, we could ditch "shi'yayc" as a colour, make "tra'sal" be yellow, and combine red and yellow to make orange "ge'tra"?

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 04 Jan 2014 17:51

On gayi'kartay, I think that works well.

For yellow, however, I'd have to say "only alive" means something other than what you went for. Remember, symbolically, yellow was painted on armor to indicate shereshoy, and is therefore unlikely to be a term of derision.

I am partial to tra'sal for orange, though.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 04 Jan 2014 20:02

I did not know the significance of yellow. Perhaps ironically, I never read any of Manda'buir (Karen's) books. O.o

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 04 Jan 2014 20:09

tsk tsk, for shame.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 11 Jan 2014 06:06

I just thought of another word, derivative of one I made before:

iviin'yc = "fast"
iviin ~= "speed"
iviinir ~= "hurry" <-- this is the new one

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 21 Jan 2014 05:50

So this took me a long time to get around to doing. I decided to take a break from my current side-project and work on this:
Raeth wrote:Some "new" words I would like to see in Mando'a:
Raeth wrote:book
A book is a bound volume of pages. Towards that end, I'm going to use words which describe the concept of pages, binding, etc.

Page:

If I were to describe the concept of "a page" in Mando'a, it would be like so:
"page" cuyi miit'gaan'hukaatla pel'kurshok -- a writing-covered flexible plank

This could be compounded to pel'miit'kurshok -- but that's a little bit long.

Alternatives:
kaj'miit - page (kajil + miite ~~> flat words [made singular because it's a new single object])
miit'gaid - page (miite + gaid ~~> word-plate)
miit'kurshok - page (miite + kurshok ~~> word-plank)

And onward, to describing the concept of a book, or a stack of such pages:
bin'miit - book (bines + miit ~~> stack [of] words) -- no need to directly address the pages themselves, as the concept would be understood
Raeth wrote:diary
tuur'bin'miit - diary (tuur + bin'miit ~~> day-book)
Raeth wrote:journal
I see "journal" and "diary" as sharing a meaning (both essentially mean "a book chronicling events"), and thus interpret the word "journal" in this case (accompanying diary separately) as a verb. The act of writing in a diary. Journaling. "To journal."

bin'miit'gaanar - to write [in a book] (bines'miit + miit'gaanar ~~> book + to write ~= to author)
tuur'bin'miit'gaanar - to write [in a diary], to journal (tuur + bin'miit'gaanar ~~> diary + to write ~= to write [in a] diary)

That's getting a little bit long, but the meanign is (hopefully) clear.
Raeth wrote:vehicle
I think this is referring to ground-based vehicles, or maybe the generic concept of vehicle.

The most generic we get in terms of spacefaring vehicles is me'sen - starship

I assume the "me" portion means something akin to "group" because of me'dinuir and me'sen, both of which involve a group.

Ground-based vehicle:

How about vheh'sen (vheh [soil] + me'sen [starship])? I know it's a bit strange, and essentially means "ground-bird" (me'sen comes from senaar [bird]), but it could work.

Alternatively, we could go with a ground-based animal for our inspiration: me'striil'gota (mechanical strill, "me" seems to imply carrying a group)

Generic vehicle:

me'shaadla (me'sen + shaadlar ~~> group move ~~> [?]) I'm not sure on this one and I'm getting tired. (I did these earlier ones after the money-related ones.) :P
Raeth wrote:travel
at'teh'shaad - travel (at + teh + shaad ~~> to-from movement ~~> travel)

at'teh'shaadlar - to travel (at + teh + shaadlar ~~> to move to-from ~~> to travel)
Raeth wrote:money
There's actually already a word for this in the dictionary, but it's cleverly disguised:

waadas - credits, wealth

brief tangent
Spoiler: show
...and similarly, there's:

din'waadar - to sell (dinuir + waadas ~= to give in exchange for money)

...thus I could postulate: hiib'waadar - to purchase (hiibarir + waadas ~= to take in exchange for money)

verborir already means "to buy", though it seems to refer to procuring services or work, rather than an object.

The prefix "ver" from "verborir" is also used in veriduur (courtesan), ver'gebuir (bodyguard), and ver'verd (mercenary). From this I derive "ver" to mean something akin to "for hire" or "hired" (hired spouse, hired guard, hired soldier). It could thus designate one's profession.

So for example, where baar'ur means "medic" (one whose duty it is to provide medical care) ver'baarur could mean "doctor" (one whose profession is to provide medical care -- in exchange for payment)
Raeth wrote:pay
For the noun form:

"pay" means "wages, salary, or a stipend" . (anything of value given as compensation for work done or services rendered)

Simply enough, this could just be waadas, but to ensure it has the connotation of "money given in exchange for services", let's call it bor'waadas (borarir + waadas)

For the verb form:

"to pay" means "to transfer money as compensation or recompense for work done or services rendered" .

I propose dinui bor'waadas - to pay (dinuir + borarir + waadas ~~> to give work-money ~~> to pay [in exchange for work], to give wages)

bor'waadar might be a good (shorter) alternative.

As a generic alternative for day-to-day use, let's just use waadar (which removes the specific connotation of the payment being in exchange for work).
Raeth wrote:earn
"to earn" means "to gain or get in return for one's labor or service" .

(side note: while looking through the dictionary for synonyms like "receive" or "get" in Mando'a, I found none; it seems Mandalorians don't sit by passively and have money given to them -- they go take the money!)

So how about hii'bora waadar - to earn (hiibir + borarir + waadas ~= to take money for work)

Alternatively, borar waad'entye - to earn (borarir + waadas + entye ~= work for monetary debt)

-----

So obviously there are a lot of propositions here, warranting lots of discussion. Feel free to toss me some feedback on any of the words I've created here. And please help me pick the best word for "page" since I came up with three different ways to express the concept, and I'm not sure which is best.

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 21 Jan 2014 21:01

Ori'vore, Adi'! Kandosii! Wow! This is a lot of great stuff to mull over, learn, and use! Gar ru tal'onidi, ori'haat! OK, let's review! There are only a couple of words that I did not think to specifically address, and those mostly being the looooonger compounds. I completely agree and appreciate your efforts in making succinct, compact, and pragmatic compound words. I totally understand starting with the longer compound full of meaning, and then whittling down from there.

=======================================================================

Set I: Book, Pages, and Other Wordy Things

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Suggestion: kaj'miit - page (kajil + miite ~~> flat words [made singular because it's a new single object])

Possible Alternative: kaj'miit - print, printing
Reason: "Flat words" seems a pretty apt description of, well, printed words, i.e., 'printing'.
Additional Spin-Off: kaj'miit'gaanar - to print (flat + write)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Suggestion: miit'gaid - page (miite + gaid ~~> word-plate)

I love this! I am going to use this! In fact, I am going to use this today! Please, please, please, add this to your collected list of new words! IF not, I am stealing it for Evaar'oya'la Mando'a!

Your Suggestions: miit'kurshok - page (miite + kurshok ~~> word-plank)

Possible Alternative: miit'kurshok - sign, signage
Reason: For some reason, in my mind 'plank' stands out as being bigger than 'plate' (from your previous word compound). So, I envision something that could be anywhere in size from an exit sign to a billboard, i.e., 'signage'.

Your Suggestion: bin'miit - book (bines + miit ~~> stack [of] words) -- no need to directly address the pages themselves, as the concept would be understood

Additional Spin-Off: bin'miit'yaim - library ('book' + home)

This one I keep swinging back and forth on. Bin'miit is so short and sweet, it comes off the tongue nicely. But, something in my quirky, arse-retentive brain says bin'miit'gaid is the better, more complete concept. That said, bin'miit'gaid just doesn't flow as easily when I say it. I am going to have to go with you on this: bin'miit. It really is just such a wonderful word when I say it.

Your Suggestion: tuur'bin'miit - diary (tuur + bin'miit ~~> day-book)

Agreed, this is straightforward and works for both 'diary' and 'journal' (essentially the roughly same idea).

Your Suggestion: bin'miit'gaanar - to write [in a book] (bines'miit + miit'gaanar ~~> book + to write ~= to author)

Before I got to this word, when I was mulling over bin'miit, I was thinking about authors. So, this was great to see! You were already ahead of the curve! I only have one spin-off idea to add, but I worry about it being to unwieldy.

Additional Spin-Off: bin'miit'gaan'ad - author ('book' + to write + person = author)
Additional Spin-Off: miit'gaan'ad - writer (to write + person = writer)

I know it sounds like splitting hairs - the difference between author and writer - but, I think there is value in being able to have nuance in a language. Oh, and I know 'ad' by itself means son, daughter, or child. But, in the spirit of making our compounds more succinct, I was taking the 'ad' above as a root abbreviation from 'adade' and 'adate'.

Your Suggestion: tuur'bin'miit'gaanar - to write [in a diary], to journal (tuur + bin'miit'gaanar ~~> diary + to write ~= to write [in a] diary)

Hm, this compound is a bit... well... big. I hate saying that, because I know I have come up with some crazy big compounds myself! Alright, let's go with this. But, may I also suggest the following?

Additional Spin-Off: tuur'miit'gaanar - to chronicle (day + write = to chronicle)

Recap of Book, Pages, and Other Wordy Things, Suggestions:

kaj'miit** - (n) print, printing
kaj'miit'gaanar*** - (v) to print
miit'gaid* - (n) page
miit'kurshok** - (n) sign, signage
bin'miit* - (n) book
bin'miit'yaim*** - (n) library
tuur'bin'miit* - (n) diary
bin'miit'gaanar* - (v) to author
bin'miit'gaan'ad*** - (n) author
miit'gaan'ad*** - (n) writer
tuur'bin'miit'gaanar* - (v) to journal
tuur'miit'gaanar*** - (v) to chronicle

* Your original suggestion and meaning, as best I understood.
** A suggested alternative word/meaning.
*** A suggested new spin-off word/meaning.

=======================================================================

OK, I am going to post this now. I do want to talk about your other wonderful suggestions/creations. But, due to time constraints I need to step away from the computer for a bit. So, I will put this up for now, and return to continue the discussion as soon as I can! Again... Ori'vore!
Part father, part artist, part perpetual student, part gamer, part Japan-o-phile, part contrarian, part instigator, part anthropologist, part blacksmith, part costumer, part food lover, part writer, part adventurer, part eccentric...
AN MANDO'AD!

Raeth
Verd

Unread post by Raeth » 13 Feb 2014 23:26

Yellow is the Mandalorian color representing shereshoy - a lust for life.

Oya - to hunt - is a word and concept that is at well rooted in the core of Mandalorian life and culture. To hunt is to be alive, and to be alive is to hunt, in a way.

So, for yellow (a word absent in the canon), how about oya'sal (i.e., hunt/living color)?

EDIT (i.e., I'm a derp!):

So, yes, there is a word for yellow. (-.-;) Too bad, because I really liked "oya'sal".

R.I.P. Oya'sal: Feb. 13th, 2014 - Feb. 13th, 2014
AN MANDO'AD!

Naux2010
Verd

Unread post by Naux2010 » 28 Feb 2014 03:24

I have written a paper and now translating it into mando'a. I came across some pretty pivotal words that we need.

Teacher (temporarily using Ba'juri *sub e for i in plural)
expert (temp using o'r'ijaat'bora)
Master
Student

Words I have come up with
Country = aliit'be'aliite
Politician = adol'echoy'la
slave = dirborarshy'a

Also a new prefix lo- (into) used in same way as our en- & em-
• Put into or on = engulf, enmesh
• Bring to the condition of = enlightened, entitled (lo’gai)
• Intensification = enraged, entangle

I feel the prefix is solid but my new words might need some work.
Naux Vader

Strength, honor, loyalty, death.
ba'jur bal beskar'gam,
ara'nov, aliit,
mando'a bal mand'alor---
an vencuyan mhi.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 28 Feb 2014 22:02

lo' seems good, I see where you got it from, and I think "kote lo'shebs'ul narit" made this canon anyway...

Naux2010
Verd

Unread post by Naux2010 » 04 Mar 2014 02:37

I needed a word for stop. Gev is used for "stop it". I would think that gevar would be the verb to stop. maybe this could be added.
Naux Vader

Strength, honor, loyalty, death.
ba'jur bal beskar'gam,
ara'nov, aliit,
mando'a bal mand'alor---
an vencuyan mhi.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 04 Mar 2014 03:41

That seems like a very reasonable addition. Thank you Naux.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 04 Mar 2014 06:49

seems like the logical step.

Fenedor
Verd

Unread post by Fenedor » 16 Mar 2014 22:38

While writing my last post i noticed that there is no word for sentence (or i just haven't found it).
So i came up with tsad miite - group of words (from tsad droten - group of people).
Miit'tsad seems to be possible but we already have bin'miit so maybe we should go with tsad'miit(e)?