Words i accumulated or invented so far

All discussion regarding new words should go here.
Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Re: Words i accumulated or invented so far

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 24 Jan 2017 14:15

Tranar comes from slightly modifying Karen's word tranyc, which means sunny. So i just replaced the ending to make a word for light of the sun.
Good point on ruusala. But i was thinking like this. It doesnt nesseserily means gullible. Just trusting. But even in english trusting can be used negatively. "Youre too trusting when it comes to your relatives. One day they will screw you over". I just added gullible to the translation to indicate that its possible to use this word in that context.
Agol'la. As i feel it, the double is needed cause if you make it just agola, that could be heard as "belonging to a body/flesh" (for me). The ful agol and addition of -la makes it something like body-ish. Sorry, dont know if there is analogy in english.
First i determined that kut could mean cloth/fabric. Kute is underwear. So sleep cloth would rather mean blanket then pj's. And i seriously doubt that a nomadic worrior culture would have anything resembling pijamas))
Tal'jair Rusk
Te tuur tal jai o'r dha ca...

joh'amur
Verd

Unread post by joh'amur » 16 Mar 2017 22:43

Is there another updated version of the dictionary with the words included in this thread? And having read through this thread, I’d be willing to put it in my Google Drive and host it there.

*Possible words I thought of while translating this into Mando’a*
Cuyar- State, being, by extension version (from Cuyir)
Mi’tsad- Dictionary (from "Miit" and "Tsad")
Slan=absence (from "slanyc")

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 23 Apr 2017 02:53

Stuff that showed up in the course of a translation project:
Coined ‘swoops’ as follows: sen – low + kih – small + diryc – ship = senkih'diryc, swoop-bike.
Coined an adjectival 'own', as in, 'my own two hands': ganyc, from 'ganar', to own, and the adjectival suffix -yc.
'Secrecy', ranov'lur, 'ranov-loor', from 'secret', 'ranov'la', + noun-form ending -ur.
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 24 Apr 2017 18:15

Belandrie Meave wrote:Stuff that showed up in the course of a translation project:
Coined ‘swoops’ as follows: sen – low + kih – small + diryc – ship = senkih'diryc, swoop-bike.
I think you got something here mixed up. Diryc is low, not sen, isn't it?

I came up with 'ge'riduur', from 'ge', almost, and 'riduur', husband/wife, to mean 'boyfriend/girlfriend.

And also, as a side note to Tal'jair, but also to Adi'karta, I believe that the verbs in your dictionary should be listed as 'to lead', 'to fight' instead of 'lead' and 'fight' to show the infinitives, as that is what is written (alorir versus alori). This also removes confusions such as 'beten' meaning sigh (noun) and 'betenor' sigh (verb).

Just my thoughts.

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 25 Apr 2017 05:19

Osik, sorry, got my roots mixed. Comes to the same thing, though.
I'm inclined to disagree about the infinitives, because you don't say ni jorhaa'i, you say ni jorhaa'ir, suggesting that the -ir suffix isn't the infinitive, it's a finite form. (And because it's Mando'a it's present tense by default.)
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 25 Apr 2017 18:23

Belandrie Meave wrote:Osik, sorry, got my roots mixed. Comes to the same thing, though.
I'm inclined to disagree about the infinitives, because you don't say ni jorhaa'i, you say ni jorhaa'ir, suggesting that the -ir suffix isn't the infinitive, it's a finite form. (And because it's Mando'a it's present tense by default.)
I'm... pretty sure that you don't say ni jorhaa'ir... I'll have to check on that. But in everything I've seen, the r at the end makes the infinitive.

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 25 Apr 2017 19:17

Just checked the grammar guide. Removing the ending -r tends to make the stem of a verb, yes. So "Ni cuyi Mando'ad", not "Ni cuyir Mando'ad". Though obviously cuyir tends to be dropped altogether.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 26 Apr 2017 01:20

Thanks for the confirmation, Aondeug.

Also, a word I literally just came up with that I need for a song I'm translating is 'aliitir', which means to belong in a family sense, such as "this is where I belong," or "I belong with them."

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 26 Apr 2017 05:03

Sure thing!

Also aliitir is a really, really lovely word. The concept of found family and family in general with the Mando'ade means a lot to me. And I have similar concepts in my personal beliefs. That'll be a fun word to use...

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 26 Apr 2017 16:58

I like it as well
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 28 Apr 2017 16:20

Glad you guys like it! I could have waited for a to belong word that is for other things (e.g. this item belongs to me), but that is impractical, (we'd just say, I own this item, or Ni ibi'gana) and we're Mandos. We need this word.

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 28 Apr 2017 18:49

Given how much focus is put on family in the culture it honestly makes more sense that they'd have a very specific word for that concept. As opposed to one that could be used for both that and stating that things belong to you. Especially when Mando'a's structure is that of a very practical language that says exactly what it means to say when it says it. Belonging to a family leaves, what I feel, are too many possibilities of other readings. Non-positive readings, too. A word based off the word for family meanwhile cuts that vagueness away, I feel. You're simply left with the concept of family.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 28 Apr 2017 20:52

Plus our language is in the active voice, and 'this belongs to me' is almost passive; 'I own this' is more direct.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 29 Apr 2017 17:06

Another word I just came up with is ra'shya, which means or more; as in 'Solus ra'shya traatika,' or 'One company or more/One or more companies.' In such cases, I feel the pluralization of the noun (ra'shya traatika versus ra'shya traatike) is unnecessary.

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 29 Apr 2017 19:22

useful

Tal’jair Rusk
Verd

Unread post by Tal’jair Rusk » 29 Apr 2017 20:02

One word.

FINALLY!

Welcome to the world, vode :) Glad you could join us :)
Im really sorry i havent updated for long time, got tangled up in real life stuff. But i promise all your comments are valued greatly and will be taken into work.
Tal'jair Rusk
Te tuur tal jai o'r dha ca...

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 30 Apr 2017 03:38

Gotta be careful with pronunciation with ra'shya, though, cause it sounds close to five

Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread post by Belandrie Meave » 01 May 2017 10:03

I've taken to counting my karate reps in Mando'a, much to my teacher's confusion (tho' he did end up saying tug'yc instead of moichido today, I'm calling that a win), and can confirm - no, ra'shya does not sound even a tiny bit like rayshe'a. For one thing the emphasis is in a different place: RA-shya vs. ray-SHEE-a.

Kad Tracyn
Verd

Unread post by Kad Tracyn » 01 May 2017 17:14

I always pronounced it ray-SHAY-ah, so I didn't even notice the similarity.

Ruus
Verd

Unread post by Ruus » 01 May 2017 23:12

Belandrie Meave wrote:I've taken to counting my karate reps in Mando'a, much to my teacher's confusion (tho' he did end up saying tug'yc instead of moichido today, I'm calling that a win), and can confirm - no, ra'shya does not sound even a tiny bit like rayshe'a. For one thing the emphasis is in a different place: RA-shya vs. ray-SHEE-a.
Ha! Love that!!!