List of Custom Words

All discussion regarding new words should go here.

Re: List of Custom Words

Unread postby Vlet Hansen » 23 Mar 2017 06:06

One that hit me tonight as a possibility: Dar'amur, to mean mummification, and dar'amyc for mummified. A mummy could maybe be dar'amad.

My rationale being literally "no longer changing" seems to be a literal description of the process.
Shi adate kotep luubid...
Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread postby Belandrie Meave » 23 Mar 2017 09:54

Pardon me if I'm being dense (it's pretty late in this time zone) but what the unholy hell do we need 'mummification' for??
I mean, the etymology makes sense, I just can't see where you'd use it.
Duumir cuy haat acyk gar kar'ta bal haa Dral. An ashi dar'cuy. - Surenit Kli'qiy
Belandrie Meave
Verd

Unread postby Vlet Hansen » 23 Mar 2017 15:15

Eh, you never know what you'll find to talk about. I just post words I come up with, not saying they'll be in common use
Shi adate kotep luubid...
Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread postby Taljair te Mir'ad » 18 Oct 2017 09:34

You could use it for “stiff”, like “Sir, we stormed the building but the corpses of the hostages were stiff for a long time already”.
But mummys... Doubt that mando culture would have anything like that
Tal'jair Rusk
Te tuur tal jai o'r dha ca...
Taljair te Mir'ad
Verd

Unread postby Ge'tal Buy'ce » 24 Oct 2017 17:12

I doubt more words are ever bad to have. Even if Mandos don't mummify anything themselves, they've probably encountered it in other cultures, and probably assimilated individuals originating from said cultures.

So I've been making some new words in my own thread for a while, but forgot to post them here. Feedback is appreciated.

Burcya'la: friendly. From the root word burc'ya (friend) and the suffix 'la, which as far as I can tell means "like," resulting in a word meaning "like a friend." See also: evaar'la, jare'la, osik'la.

Ke'gyc'an: ordering. Root word ke'gyce (order, command) and the suffix 'an, gerund verb suffix.

Narser'nibrar: to sacrifice, to lose for a purpose. Root words narser (purpose), nibrar (lose, fail). This one could probably use a better contraction, but I couldn't find one that preserved enough of both words to make the etymology clear.

Ne'ru'cuyi: were not. Root word cuyir (to be), negative prefix ne', and past tense prefix ru'.

Oyu: galaxy. Derived root from oyu'baat (universe) and oyula (galactic).

Ru'pirim: used. Root word pirimmur (to use), past tense prefix ru'.

Ru'trattok'or: failed. Root word trattok'or (fail, fall, collapse), past tense prefix ru'.

Val: them. Not a new word, but expanding the current definition (they, theirs) to include another common English form of the same idea.

Vhebesbe: equipment meant for use on solid ground (scout bikes, mobile HQ, earthmovers, etc.). Root words vheh (earth, dust, soil), besbe (slang: kit).
Ni vaabir ibic nari meg Mando'ade liser oyacyir.
Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Previous

Return to Lexicon