Pointless tidbit in regards to the creation of new Mando’a words or grammatical rules.

Discussion of extensions to the Mando'a core grammar and suggestion of new word roots.
Disclaimer: This is all derivative fan-made material.
Augest Kayd
Verd

Pointless tidbit in regards to the creation of new Mando’a words or grammatical rules.

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 15 Apr 2023 23:33

I haven’t looked at the custom words and grammar rules here enough to say for certain, but given that this is an English centric forum and that Star Wars is English based, we come up with these new words and grammar from an English perspective, probably western language roots (Nordic, old english, Latin, etc) and structure. We can also use other languages as well, and I think Eastern languages specifically, especially such as Japanese and Chinese. Kind of obvious, but just wanted to point it out.
Trikar’la’kar'taylir cuy or'dinii’geroya, bal ni’cuy di'kut be laamyne siver.

Augest Kayd
Verd

Re: Pointless tidbit in regards to the creation of new Mando’a words or grammatical rules.

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 21 Apr 2023 01:09

Hm, but actually on this topic, Mandalorians are a militaristic culture. They’re soldiers and warriors. Are we utilizing military lingo and slang nearly to the level we could be when making new words?

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Re: Pointless tidbit in regards to the creation of new Mando’a words or grammatical rules.

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 30 Apr 2023 01:21

These are both good points, and I think that ( to somewhat expand on what you're mentioning here) we also underuse "mangling" words when making new terms. You can find a lot of words that seem to have a clear lineage (like shekemir, ray'ture, and I will always suggest copaani even though it's a stretch) but clearly divert from the original spellings. I'm a BIG fan of, when making a new word, instead of stringing things together with a beten stitching, just smoosh them by saying the word over and over until you get sloppy with it, and write that down instead
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Augest Kayd
Verd

Unread post by Augest Kayd » 30 Apr 2023 02:06

I... need to try that method. Thanks for the idea.

And honestly, outside of creating words from roots that already exist, creating words from scratch should not be taboo either.

Time to think of military lingo to add to the dictionary.