Welcome to Learn Mando'a! (Post Here to Introduce Yourself)

Introduce Yourself. If you are new, you must post in here before posting anywhere else.
LoganKrane
Verd

Re: Welcome to Learn Mando'a!

Unread post by LoganKrane » 17 Oct 2011 01:58

Hello everyone. My name is Logan Krane, I am an aspiring science fiction writer, English student and huge fan of Star Wars. I came across your site while researching the Mandalorians a little bit more and I was very impressed. I didn't know that someone had actually developed a working language for the Star Wars universe. And I was very pleased to know that it is for the Mandalorians, one of my favorite cultures. I plan on slowly but surely learning the language (shoving it in with my studies and video game addictions :P ) but otherwise, I would love to further discuss what I can with you guys!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 17 Oct 2011 20:24

Welcome, Logan. Glad to have you aboard.

I agree that it is totally awesome that somebody took the time to craft a language for the Mandalorians. Without Karen Traviss, this website would not exist. Thanks be to Karen, the Mother of the Mandalorians. :)

The community here keeps itself busy with plenty of real-world pursuits, and as such, we may not all be online very often, but your presence is welcome and appreciated. :)
Mandoa.Org - Bringing together the Mando'a Community.

Lyat'aag
Verd

Unread post by Lyat'aag » 14 Nov 2011 17:01

Well, after a long absence without leave, I'm back. Can't stay away from these projects forever. Love this translating stuff too much.

Good to see we've grown some while I was gone, instead of dying out.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 14 Nov 2011 19:11

Hey there, Lyat'aag. Good to see you again.

We have, indeed, grown considerably. We have gained several new members, and recently, in the week of October 17-23, we reached a peak of 531 hits (mostly on the translator, but that's quite a few nonetheless -- about 75/76 hits per day).

And now there's some talk of an actual book, and the bible translation project has carried on quite swimmingly. Lots of raw Mando'a text available to prove an example of how flexible the language is already. :)

Tracyn Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Tracyn Ordo » 04 Dec 2011 08:38

Su'cuy an! My name is Robert and Im from little old New Zealand (home to the one and only Jango Fett/Temuera Morrison :))
I fell in love with Mando'ade back in late '06, after first reading Hard Contact and Triple Zero. Needless to say I've been hooked ever since, and have been trying to teach myself some basic mando'a on and off for sometime now. I saw a link to this site over on the Mandalorian Mercs site this morning, and I like what I see so far. I look forward to getting to know you lovely folk and hopefully learning some mando'a along the way :)
Ret.
Par Ijaat
Par Kote
Par Aliit
Bal par Mand'alor!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 04 Dec 2011 08:59

Hey, nice to see another student of the Resol'nare. Welcome to the forums! I would say more but It's 2AM here, and I tend to ramble when I'm tired -- so I will stop myself before I start. :)

Tracyn Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Tracyn Ordo » 05 Dec 2011 01:21

Vor'e vod. I'm glad I've finally found somewhere dedicated to learning mando'a, hopefully it will provide me with the motivation to make more progress than I have in the past.
Par Ijaat
Par Kote
Par Aliit
Bal par Mand'alor!

Atiniir
Verd

Unread post by Atiniir » 17 Jan 2012 16:35

Su cuy'gar, ner burc'yase.

Like quite a few, I've had an interesting in learning Mando'a. Before now, I've only been able to get a little bit into it. So, thank you for creating the site - I can imagine this will be an asset. I've already learned a few things. Vor entye!

Kansoii, burc'yase,
Ret'

Reilic Tralem
Verd

Unread post by Reilic Tralem » 17 Jan 2012 19:53

Su'cuy ner vode! I'm Reilic Tralem from over on the mercs forums. Vod Lyat'aag pointed me in this direction after a brief discussion of our love of languages, especially Mando'a. I am also a student of the Resol'nare. Whilst working on my Legacy Era beskar'gam, I fell in love with the language and the general principles of the six actions. While I do separate fantasy from reality, the Resol'nare is quite a simple and honorable way to live one's life. I had originally started a blog over on Tumblr to document the progress of my beskar'gam, then I started doing a weekly Mando'a lesson as well. Truth be told, the main reason I started learning Mando'a was to impress a woman. Oh, and it worked. I am now not just her boyfriend, but the Mandalorian bodyguard to her Sith cosplay character! Geeks in love right :)

Hopefully I will get a much better command of the language here, and be able to speak and write fluently eventually. As I said before, I love this language quite a lot. Vor'e, vod Lyat'aag for bringing me here!

Tracyn Ordo
Verd

Unread post by Tracyn Ordo » 23 Jan 2012 07:23

Olarom Reilic vod! I too am relatively new here, and while these forums aren't overly active say in comparison to Mercs, the people here are friendly and helpful, and there is plenty of helpful information on Mando'a if you take the time to read through some of the older threads.
Par Ijaat
Par Kote
Par Aliit
Bal par Mand'alor!

An Epic Hippo
Verd

Unread post by An Epic Hippo » 29 Mar 2012 03:54

Su'cuy, sorry I didn't post here first, I started reading the rules after my first post, hope I can be forgiven, and I look forward to learning the language, my friends call me Hippo.

Reilic Tralem
Verd

Unread post by Reilic Tralem » 03 Apr 2012 15:36

Welcome vod Hippo! As you can see, we are sort of a very laid back bunch here. Sorry it took so long for a reply, welcome nonetheless though! Jump right in and have some fun.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 09 Apr 2012 00:38

Hey Hippo, welcome to the forums. I've been a bit busy in real life, so I apologize for not being around to welcome you. Nevertheless, don't worry about the post order. I'm a bit confused though, because I thought I had it set to require one post in this forum before you would be able to post anywhere else. Looks like I have some maintenance to do. :)

Locke
Verd

Unread post by Locke » 21 Apr 2012 21:48

Hey guys =) Locke here, and I was just kinda browsing around with Mando'a and I found this place. I'm just looking for a place to learn and practice Mando'a, I think knowing the Mandalorian language would be pretty cool. I'm onlyreally planning on using it for journaling to myself, and obviously to discuss the language here. Has the language actually expanded since Karen Traviss gave it up in '07? I saw that someone translated the Art of War into Mando'a (Which is insane haha, that's so cool) and I see that you guys have added to the lexicon a little bit, but has there been anything else?

Looking forward to posting here!

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 21 Apr 2012 23:08

Hey Locke, welcome to Learn Mando'a. Since the language was developed by Karen Traviss, under license from Lucasfilm, once Karen abandoned it, there haven't really been any official efforts to develop the language; in fact quite the opposite. George Lucas has decided to go a different direction with the Mandalorians, and as a result, any developments to the language will be strictly fan-originated. We've put forth a few simple words to expand upon the lexicon, most of which are just derivatives of other words which were not explicitly defined in the dictionary. I'm sure even more words can be made by just combining roots and extrapolating from Mando'a texts, it's just a matter of recording them and combining them into a single easy-to-find lexicon.

It's cool that The Art of War has been translated; I was unaware (though I probably should have known). Perhaps next we should translate the 36 Stratagems (a piece about the proper use of deception in war), or Mastering the Art of War by Zhuge Liang (it's essentially his commentary on The Art of War, fleshing out and clarifying a lot of points).

I would like to include a link to the translated version of The Art of War in the forum, if you wouldn't mind sharing it with us. :)

Locke
Verd

Unread post by Locke » 21 Apr 2012 23:45

Where did Lucas decide to take the Mandalorians?

And here's the link: https://sites.google.com/a/klingonword. ... t-be-akaan

There're obviously words that aren't translated, but I think it's an impressive feat none-the-less. Maybe the next project could be improving upon this translation? I dunno.

Adi'karta
Admin

Unread post by Adi'karta » 22 Apr 2012 01:36

Ah, Mr. Klingon. Thanks for sharing. :)

Most of the Expanded Universe doesn't fit with Lucas' vision of Star Wars. In new canon, the Mandalorians don't seem to have their own language very much, and seem to be entirely a white humanoid and nonviolent culture (as opposed to a warrior culture that originated with the Taung species, and adopts new members regardless of species, sex, or gender). The warrior types are mostly outcasts who make up the Death Watch, a Mandalorian terrorist organization. They also have two not-destroyed planets, instead of a completely demolished home-world, and all of them live on one or the other, instead of being a nomadic space-faring culture with no centralized place that can be destroyed.

Most of this development in the Mandalorian culture comes from the Clone Wars TV cartoon, and since the direction it's taking is so vastly different from what the EU authors have laid out for the Mandalorians, the fandom has had to accept the changes and either go with them, or just be separated from official canon. Karen Traviss stopped working on developing the Mandalorians because it was becoming difficult to reconcile the direction she was taking them with the direction Lucas wanted them to go, or at least that's what I've been led to believe.

guilderrant
Verd

Unread post by guilderrant » 30 Apr 2012 09:28

Oya, Manda! Ni Guilderrant. Ni Mando'ade. Ni oyacyir de ner beskar'gam bal kal. Ner kal rattin ti ni. Ni vercopaanir munit burcyan ti ner evaar'la Mandoa bal Mando'ade aliit! Ni mando'a dush, al ni kal kad'la, bid shaadlar bat. Ni nuhun. Vor'e par sushir!
My life turned out to be a 'you had to be there' joke....

KensokuT10
Verd

Unread post by KensokuT10 » 30 Apr 2012 20:57

Olarom, Guilderrant. Ibac ru'cuy jate kebbur ti Mando'joha.
Ke'vencuyani kebburir, gar ven'cuy jate'shya.
K'oyacyi, ner vod.
"Gar tal'din ni jaonyc, gar sa buir ori'wadas'la."

Cuyan Atinii
Alor'ad Ori'gehaat'ik

Unread post by Cuyan Atinii » 01 May 2012 04:12

A big Olarom! to all the new members I've ignored thus far
Ibic cuyi haan Yusta.