Beskar'gam cooling system

Planning parties, meetups, get-togethers, roleplays, or study-buddies happens here.
Linebeck
Verd

Beskar'gam cooling system

Unread post by Linebeck » 09 Jun 2017 16:41

I'm making designs for my own armor (I'm not going to have it built until I stop growing), but keep running in to one big problem: heat. My original idea was to put small tubes of water in the body suit that all connect to a pump on my thigh concealed by a holster and kama. The idea is that the movement of the water getting pumped through the tubes keeps me from overheating. The problems with this is that it would be very hard, very expensive, and I don't know where to get a small water pump, or if they even exist. Any ideas, vode?
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Aarlaya
Verd

Re: Beskar'gam cooling system

Unread post by Aarlaya » 09 Jun 2017 19:09

There'd also be a problem with the heat from that motion. I'd look into different materials for the bodysuit, and see what firemen, SWAT, etc uses in their uniforms to keep them cool, because they wear a lot of heavy stuff. Also, if it comes down to it and you just have to endure it, work on keeping hydrated and keeping your electrolytes up so you can keep sweating (gross, but you do it for a reason, and that reason is to keep cool).
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

Linebeck
Verd

Unread post by Linebeck » 13 Jun 2017 16:52

Vor entye, vod. After doing some searching on police forums, I decided to sew pouches on my body suit and slip ice packs in them.
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Family is more than bloodline

Aarlaya
Verd

Unread post by Aarlaya » 14 Jun 2017 03:30

Simple and effective, very mandokarla.
may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple~ e e cummings

Vlet Hansen
Verd

Unread post by Vlet Hansen » 30 Jun 2017 15:01

A lot of people use small fans in their helmets as well, it really helps
Shi adate kotep luubid...

Ge'tal Buy'ce
Verd

Unread post by Ge'tal Buy'ce » 29 Dec 2017 17:43

Engineer here. I actually looked into designing active cooling for a set of beskar'gam, and while it's technically possible, it'd chew through batteries like candy. You'd be better off with a fan in your buy'ce and ice packs on your torso, like Vlet and Aarlaya suggested.

That said, there are ways to redistribute heat better. If you've got spots in your armor where the heat's building up unbearably, run a wide strip of copper (with cloth padding) from the heat area to one of the cold packs. Copper's a great thermal conductor, and as long as you've got ice left, it'll leech away some of the heat. Just be careful not to let any copper-paneled pieces of your armor get a lot of direct sun, or you'll get the opposite effect.

Of course, you have a lot of body heat, so if you've got a spot you want cooled far away from an ice pack, make sure the copper strip is well-insulated between Point A and Point B or else you'll use up all of the cold before it gets where it needs to go.
Gar ne'lis suvar Shaik'spir akay miit'haa'tayl kaysh o'r maan Mando'a.
You can't understand Shakespeare until you read him in the original Mando'a.

Aondeug
Verd

Unread post by Aondeug » 31 Jan 2018 22:14

I'd try asking around the Mandalorian Mercs forum if you can. They'd have lots of suggestions for this sort of thing given how physically demanding trooping is.

Here's an idea someone had with a backpack prop for example: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/inde ... c=140348.0