It has been nearly a year since the last time I changed any of the code behind the translator.
I decided that has been too long. I just uploaded a patch for the translator which will enable it to leverage localStorage for caching of the dictionary data, allowing for faster pageloads and instant searches with significantly lower server drain -- this should mean no more delay between when you stop typing and when the results reload.
This is the first step towards making the translator capable of running completely offline.
Next, I am planning to experiment with Application Cache, which will enable completely offline use of the translator on supported web browsers.